Internal or External overflow?

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently placed an order for a new tank - 72x30x24 and I originally ordered it with an external Ghost Overflow however this past weekend I took down my 180Gal that also had a ghost overflow and I realized how much of a PITA it was / would be to ever get back there to service the plumbing if I ever needed to (I haven't ever had to, but...). I still have the opportunity to change my new tank order to an internal overflow box but I want to keep it (them) small. I was actually thinking of doing 2 smaller boxes offset of center, each containing 2 holes - (1) 1 inch hole for the return and (1) 1.5 inch and plumbing it with a Herbie drain.

My question is:
Can anyone post pictures of 2 smaller overflow boxes in a similar sized tank so that I can get an idea of what it will look like.

Does anyone know what a single 1.5 inch drain pipe will move in a full siphon setup? I plan to run about 1200 - 1500 through the returns / sump and am waiting to make sure that a 1.5 inch pipe will be sufficient.

Thank you
Dave

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still have that option go external.
More real-estate in your tank as the ghost overflow is nicely tucked away against the back wall

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back