Intro

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! Glad to have ya here.
1C2B7A99-0C82-450C-AD6E-28B18A0B2280.jpeg

GardenReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! I used mollies at the advice of our lfs a long time ago on my first tank. They are some tough fish! The cycle was long - basically followed the guide from the Marine Aquarium Handbook by Martin Moe. It was a slow, great way to get in tune with the tank. We did send the mollies back at the end and wished we didnt. The lfs had some massive outbreak and they all ended up dying along with a lot of their stock on that system.
Have fun and excited to see the progress.

OP
OP
gr2

gr2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! I used mollies at the advice of our lfs a long time ago on my first tank. They are some tough fish! The cycle was long - basically followed the guide from the Marine Aquarium Handbook by Martin Moe. It was a slow, great way to get in tune with the tank. We did send the mollies back at the end and wished we didnt. The lfs had some massive outbreak and they all ended up dying along with a lot of their stock on that system.
Have fun and excited to see the progress.
Thanks so much for all the info!! Do you remember around how many weeks or months it took for you tank to be fully cycled and established? I’ll have to check out that guide as well.

GardenReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will caution that book is from 80’s - 90’s. So pretty sure some newer info is available - likely from folks here. Between that martin moe book, the julian sprung series, and baensch atlases there was a lot of great reading. Now we have R2R and can search ad hoc in seconds. Come a long way in 20-ish years. :)
I also found some of my notebooks from that time and see that we were in line with the slow cycle at about 4-5 weeks before it settled.
Hope this helps! Have fun !!

Thanks so much for all the info!! Do you remember around how many weeks or months it took for you tank to be fully cycled and established? I’ll have to check out that guide as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back