Introduce a new male clown

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my male clown from my bonded pair of clowns decided it was a good idea to eat the same food at the same time as my puffer. Clown turned into puffer food and upset the children.do I allow a grieving time for the widow or just add a handsome new clown and hope for the best.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my male clown from my bonded pair of clowns decided it was a good idea to eat the same food at the same time as my puffer. Clown turned into puffer food and upset the children.do I allow a grieving time for the widow or just add a handsome new clown and hope for the best.
What species is it?
If it’s anything like mine (A. occelaris x A. percula) then she won’t like having another mate unless done the right way. My males all ended up dead for some reason, first one was completely out of the blue then I tried another and the female died, then I tried another and the other female died. Now I have a 2 year old clownfish that’s happy as can be and hasn’t got a mate since I can’t seem to keep 2 clownfish together. Occelaris it used to be quite easy to pair them back up, this is the only occelaris I have struggled with to pair up long term and I think it’s something to do with the percula side of the breed.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not say what specific type of clown you have. Most clowns are very easy to pair up. Some take more patience than others. Tomato and maroon clowns are more fussy. Putting a divider in the tank can really help. Keep it there until the fish do not charge at each other, but hang out together. This can take a few days to weeks. You almost always want the new action to be a fair bit smaller then the established fish. Egg crate works well unless one is small enough to get through it.
Unfortunately it sounds like your not getting the healthiest fish or there is an issue with your tank.You should not be losing so many clowns, as they are pretty hardy.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not say what specific type of clown you have. Most clowns are very easy to pair up. Some take more patience than others. Tomato and maroon clowns are more fussy. Putting a divider in the tank can really help. Keep it there until the fish do not charge at each other, but hang out together. This can take a few days to weeks. You almost always want the new action to be a fair bit smaller then the established fish. Egg crate works well unless one is small enough to get through it.
Unfortunately it sounds like your not getting the healthiest fish or there is an issue with your tank.You should not be losing so many clowns, as they are pretty hardy.
This.

I've paired mainly tomato's, maroon's (standard & gold stripe) and now orange skunks over the years. Acclimation box is your friend. I've had a LOT of male deaths over the years to get success.

Last mama tomato was 5+ years old, she went through 4 males. Killed 2 (both within 72 hours of tank release), tolerated 1 and paired with spawning the last one.

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of him. Not sure the name
Screenshot_20220503-131914_Gallery.png

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when a female clown dies an adult male can become a female in a few days. I imagine size may have a little to do with if it changes quickly or not.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back