Introducing myself - from UK

Catmum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, have been reading posts/discussions for months and now recovering from op so have more time to do stuff! I have 2 reef tanks - 700 litre mixed reef peninsula and a Red Sea Max nano. Also soon to set up a Red Sea Reefer 750 . Have been keeping marine for around 5-6 years but there’s always so much to learn.

My current issue - I have posted a question around flow in my peninsula. Struggling to get into all the nooks and crannies (which leads to recurring cyano) with 2 Reefwave 45s so have ordered a Tunze 6095. Any thoughts on best placement would be great.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, have been reading posts/discussions for months and now recovering from op so have more time to do stuff! I have 2 reef tanks - 700 litre mixed reef peninsula and a Red Sea Max nano. Also soon to set up a Red Sea Reefer 750 . Have been keeping marine for around 5-6 years but there’s always so much to learn.

My current issue - I have posted a question around flow in my peninsula. Struggling to get into all the nooks and crannies (which leads to recurring cyano) with 2 Reefwave 45s so have ordered a Tunze 6095. Any thoughts on best placement would be great.
And pump placement is a pretty hard question... try as many places as possible, maybe leaving room behind the rocks may help as well. Check on Jake’s (Reefbuilders) video on some placement examples, might help.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revenge Of The Sith Prequel GIF

Welcome to R2R!!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Consider different types of pumps to create stream flow, broad laminar flow, or random flow. Also look at gyres, etc and supplemental flow pumps (e.g. Nero 3 or 5). additional review your aquascape to work with your flow patterns. Good luck!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome!

Trial & error... try using an airline hose to blow bubbles and see where you have coverage and coverage lacking your desires. Move pumps, try again. Not everything wants high flow, so depending on your corals and/or fish, you'll also want medium and low flow areas (but no 'no' flow areas... my rockwork wants a partial redesign to help me with this too)... Your flow answer may no be limited to just pump(s) placements. There are so many potential variables, that even though there are great resources online, IMO it comes back to try it then adjust

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous posters. It is all about trial and error. You may find that you need to add additional wavemakers or just realign what you have. I find it easiest to hang an airstone on a suction cup directly below the pump I'm adjusting. It creates a cloud of microbubbles that show you where the current flows and how far. Maybe once you can visualize things, you can dial in your system.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
happy animation GIF by Disney Pixar

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back