Invert Only Tank Supplies/Requirements

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hugh Mann
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
1,997
Reaction score
1,862
Location
Merritt, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to set up a new tank, probably a 20 gallon specifically for inverts, primarily for QT, but also for neat species I can't have in my DT. Just want to know what sort of requirements it would need for both water perameters and equipment. By inverts for this particular setup I am referring primarily to crabs, snails, shrimp, anenomes.

Do inverts require much in the way of flow, or would be the flow from the filter be enough?

What sort of filtration, anything fancy, or just a standard HoB?

Any nutrients specific to inverts might need to be dosed? I believe I read somewhere about requiring iodine to aid in molting.

Lighting, do inverts need specific lighting? I know anenomes do, but was told by a couple people BTAs (my favorite nem) can be grown with a standard 6500k or even 5000k bulb. What about crabs, snails, shrimp?

Feeding would be accomplished by frozen, nori, pellets, whatever is called for to supplement whatever grows in the tank.

Anything else I am not thinking of?
 
If your primary goal is qt-you shouldn’t have anything else in there. Coral qt is a little different but still, shouldn’t have other species around.
If you’re dead set on it, then treat it like a display.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new