IO circulating x3 months, question re: current alk measures and use

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I haven't done a WC in about 3 months. I've had 30 gallons of IO circulating since that time in a brute can. Out of curiosity I checked alk this morning. Freshly mixed at 1.026, I tend to get an alk around 11 with my current box of salt. After circulating for about 3 mo in a brute can, the SG was 1.030 and alk 8.0 this morning.

I'm wondering if this saltwater is reasonably safe for use for larger water changes. If I wanted to change out 10 to 15 gallons over a given day should there be any reason not to use this water? I keep my tanks alk at 7.5 target. Id adjust the SG back to 1.026 and remeasure alk. It will probably be pretty close. Once the alk has dropped like that in a mixing container, there shouldn't be concern for some opposite reaction when the water hits the tank and has better circulation or change in pH or other measure that would cause the alk in that water to spike back to 11?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to use. Like all high alk salt mixes, it just looses some alk and a small amount of calcium to abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate in the barrel.

Correct, it will not rise again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back