ION is nearly here...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this youtube video (in German) of a betatester of the Ion Director.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to GHL's facebook page they will announce price, pre-order, delivery date of the IOND this week. Now I want one for X-mas....

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was an great post on Facebook looks like a custom probe designed by them. Can not wait to order one!!

Yanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I need to measure sodium?
Anyone doing this?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think be good to ask in the chemistry section. But guessing if it is low could be signs that your salinity could be drifting lower but guessing.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I need to measure sodium?
Anyone doing this?

Sodium levels are particularly important if you dose 2 part. Most of the Alk 2 part solutions will raise sodium levels over time, causing an ion imbalance in the tank while salinity reads right on target.

Yanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium levels are particularly important if you dose 2 part. Most of the Alk 2 part solutions will raise sodium levels over time, causing an ion imbalance in the tank while salinity reads right on target.
Isn’t salinity already measured with conductivity probe?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The measurement of salinity is not made up of only Sodium.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several things GHL has “announced” that has kinda fell off the for sale map... feeder, cooler and Ion... we keep waiting.

You posted a thread (today?) about "What do you want in a controller?"

I was going to reply "Probes that calibrate themselves."

Presto

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t salinity already measured with conductivity probe?

Yes, but sodium isn't the only thing that makes up salinity and the higher your sodium level is from normal, the less of the other good stuff is in there at the same salinity level.

This video is really good, but at about 16:10 it explains the ionic imbalance created by most 2 parts.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like well get some prices and delivery times soon...
C0855DC0-73B4-4602-AB29-95C3E4A81020.png

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little confused on what this does exactly. I do not dose, but would like to purchase a doser 2.1 to start as well as a khd. I was wondering if this would be a smarter first buy or would this be something i buy after my khd? I see this tests a lot of different elements, correct?

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little confused on what this does exactly. I do not dose, but would like to purchase a doser 2.1 to start as well as a khd. I was wondering if this would be a smarter first buy or would this be something i buy after my khd? I see this tests a lot of different elements, correct?
if You don’t dose, then I’d say either an IOND or KHD are not necessary for you, when your corals start to grow and you need to dose then I’d ask again... until then I’d keep your cash in the bank

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if You don’t dose, then I’d say either an IOND or KHD are not necessary for you, when your corals start to grow and you need to dose then I’d ask again... until then I’d keep your cash in the bank
I have a bad tendency of trying to buy things to do things I don't even do myself yet. I am in the process of building my tank up entirely again in a better state with more knowledge and better time management rather than just doing everything at once. I appreciate your comment as it makes me realize I do not need to stress about this just yet. In your eyes, is this more impactful than a KHD? I have a p4 and want to go all GHL everything

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Mortie31 that it isn't need at this point.

For your next question, I would say that the KHD would likely be the better choice of the two to for initial purchase... once you are at the point that you are regularly monitoring Kh. Of the parameters either device measures, Alk is the quickest to change. If PO4 was with the IOND, I would be inclined to flip my recommendation because monitoring Nitrate and Phosphate is super useful.

Edit: It also helps to not be an early adopter sometimes and let the initial product run find unexpected quirks.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bad tendency of trying to buy things to do things I don't even do myself yet. I am in the process of building my tank up entirely again in a better state with more knowledge and better time management rather than just doing everything at once. I appreciate your comment as it makes me realize I do not need to stress about this just yet. In your eyes, is this more impactful than a KHD? I have a p4 and want to go all GHL everything
IMO if you plan on keeping an SPS tank then Kh is the parameter that needs to be kept most stable and changes the quickest.. which is why I got a KHD (and I like gadgets). If money is not a problem then the IOND is a nice to have IMO, as Ca, Mg and K values change far slower... and people generally test far less frequently than Alk..

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made a clean cut decision to buy an IOND yet, I’m very keen but still undecided as if there about £900 all in in the Uk that’s 30 triton icps that’s 2.5yrs at one a month...For me the running costs and probe life are going to be very important or releasing the PO4 add on very soon... I love my Ghl kit but this one has me torn at the moment... anyone have any good reasons to buy...

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made a clean cut decision to buy an IOND yet, I’m very keen but still undecided as if there about £900 all in in the Uk that’s 30 triton icps that’s 2.5yrs at one a month...For me the running costs and probe life are going to be very important or releasing the PO4 add on very soon... I love my Ghl kit but this one has me torn at the moment... anyone have any good reasons to buy...

Yes, though I plan on a single test a day, maybe 2 tests, to chart parameters at peak of "day" and "night". Also, seeing sodium levels drop as I move from 2part to CaRx and using NO3 as either a trigger for waterchange or photoperiod time of my fuge/algaereactor.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back