IONDirector updates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be what it's going to be. I've waited this long, I'll wait another month. Although in all reality it'll probably be closer to June to see it.
None of these other high tech testers came out when they said either. Let them get it right. They don't want to deal with support issues. Nor do we!
I for one will be happy to get it.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IOND hardware has proven to be rock-solid, and the software also works reliably. The analysis of the beta test results has shown that different environmental conditions can affect the IOND readings, so the chemical composition of the sensors will be optimized again, which will require another test run with the new sensors.
How is something “rock solid” but different enviormental conditions affect it’s readings? This seems to contradict it’s self. Or just a really badly written statement trying to be optimistic but pointing out there are still issues. Either way it’s just double speak.

Also how did they not test in different conditions before it went out to testers?

I got the email too.. Couldn’t help but laugh.. Same ole GHL

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is something “rock solid” but different enviormental conditions affect it’s readings? This seems to contradict it’s self. Or just a really badly written statement trying to be optimistic but pointing out there are still issues. Either way it’s just double speak.

Also how did they not test in different conditions before it went out to testers?

I got the email too.. Couldn’t help but laugh.. Same ole GHL
Pray tell how you see that as double speak?
Isn't that the point of going out to testers? Different conditions. That's real world experience in my book. The best you can get.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprise, surprise..... more delays. What erks me even more is that not ten days ago, the word from GHL was that they were on track and field testing was very strong. Now another delay until end of March and still no announced shipping date! Looks like they’ve run out of excuses too... back to recycling the original pandemic-induced supply issue excuse. Poor form GHL. I’m done with jumping to your defence and I’m done with waiting. Will be getting my money back after you’ve had it for over a year and cancelling my order. I’m glad someone will be delighted to have moved up one place in the queue for a product that doesn’t exist.
The email seemed pretty clear in that the delay is a result of them needing to make some adjustments based on the beta testing.

It’s unfortunate but it’s also exactly what beta testing is supposed to do.

They mention that the beta testing process is slower because of Covid impacts if that’s what you were pointing to?

And for clarity for anyone skimming, they are now saying that beta testing will run until the end of March. They are not saying the units will ship then. Presumably after beta testing is completely done and they have the final specs locked in, then they ramp up production. And then they start shipping.

So early summer if all goes well?

It would be good to get an estimate of that timeline from GHL I suppose. (Meaning how long from the end of beta testing to units going out the door).

Cheers, Tony

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just for fun, I looked at the pre-order amount that ended on January 31, 2020. If you had that money in the S&P500 or NASDAQ instead, you would have enough to buy at full price and have money left over. With the DOW, you would still have a decent 10.9% return but not enough to pay full price.

Pre-Order
1/31/20
Full PriceValue of Pre-Order money if it was in the index instead of GHL
Single Device$424.92$499.92S&P: $510.89
DOW: $471.23
NASDAQ: $635.53
Director Standalone$764.92$899.90S&P: $919.68
DOW: $848.29
NASDAQ: $1,144.05
Director Slave$722.42$849.90S&P: $868.59
DOW: $801.16
NASDAQ: $1,080.48

DOWNASDAQS&P 500
1/31/2028,245.039,150.943,225.52
2/22/2131,335.7013,686.523,878.13
% Increase10.9%49.6%20.2%

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun, I looked at the pre-order amount that ended on January 31, 2020. If you had that money in the S&P500 or NASDAQ instead, you would have enough to buy at full price and have money left over. With the DOW, you would still have a decent 10.9% return but not enough to pay full price.

Pre-Order
1/31/20
Full PriceValue of Pre-Order money if it was in the index instead of GHL
Single Device$424.92$499.92S&P: $510.89
DOW: $471.23
NASDAQ: $635.53
Director Standalone$764.92$899.90S&P: $919.68
DOW: $848.29
NASDAQ: $1,144.05
Director Slave$722.42$849.90S&P: $868.59
DOW: $801.16
NASDAQ: $1,080.48

DOWNASDAQS&P 500
1/31/2028,245.039,150.943,225.52
2/22/2131,335.7013,686.523,878.13
% Increase10.9%49.6%20.2%
IF........ I didn't waste money when I was young I'd be a millionaire now.
Water under the bridge.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IF........ I didn't waste money when I was young I'd be a millionaire now.
Water under the bridge.
Like I said, ‘just for fun’. Your first two sentences in your earlier post reflect its out of your control. Not everyone feels that way.

“It's going to be what it's going to be. I've waited this long, I'll wait another month.”

All that said, I really hope GHL revolutionizes this area of the industry sooner than later.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, ‘just for fun’. Your first two sentences in your earlier post reflect its out of your control. Not everyone feels that way.

“It's going to be what it's going to be. I've waited this long, I'll wait another month.”

All that said, I really hope GHL revolutionizes this area of the industry sooner than later.
No need to stress over stuff you have no control over. Kinda like complaining about the weather. The money is spent.... I want it..... I'm willing to wait.
In a year from now you'll be wondering why you stressed so much over this.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to stress over stuff you have no control over. Kinda like complaining about the weather. The money is spent.... I want it..... I'm willing to wait.
They just need to come out with a honest estimate. Not stringing it along. This is the trident all over again. If they just said hey June shipping. And be done with it. But keep moving the goal post monthly... Is a bit annoying. But they truly don't care because they know people are gonna buy it.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was forced to stop stressing last December when I set up my system and went in a different direction. You don’t have control over the system but you certainly control your deposit. You want to keep it with GHL and that’s cool. I’ve been excited for the ION Director but the delays just made it not an option for me at the time.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the statement from GHL there was only one thing that caught my eye.

The analysis of the beta test results has shown that different environmental conditions can affect the IOND readings, so the chemical composition of the sensors will be optimized again.

So In other words they are going to get another Ion Probe made again! The real question is can an Ion Probe do what is needed or are they just not suited for this kind of work? Matthias is betting big that they do work and I really hope he is right, as it will open up so many other water testing areas in this hobby.

The problem is that I cannot find an example of one being used to test SW on a continual basis.
I think by June we will have an answer one way or the other. If you have held out this long It only makes sense to go a few extra months.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just need to come out with a honest estimate. Not stringing it along. This is the trident all over again. If they just said hey June shipping. And be done with it. But keep moving the goal post monthly... Is a bit annoying. But they truly don't care because they know people are gonna buy it.
GHL is not an American company. They sell worldwide. They are not going to let whiny impatient Americans dictate when it gets released. It will be tested until it's right, then it will be released. We will not be the guinea pigs to test it. One thing everyone agrees with is GHL products work and work well. That is why I'm invested in GHL. Do what you want. They've offered to return people's money.

eliasi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who just keep banging on about getting your kidney, sorry, money back... that’s not even the point.
1. pay preorder in 2019 for feb 2020 shipment. Also don’t forget, the original release date was Dec 2019.
2. COVID hits so there are “supply issues”
3. March 2020 deadline nears and they are going to use opportunity to “redesign” from the ground up.
3. Feb 2021 after the upteenth failed release date, we’re now been told the ion probe is not stable in beta testing.

The problem is not whether we can get our money back, it’s not that the whole “trident” saga was the same if not worse, it’s that we all handed over money for a working product that clearly didn’t exist at the time, let alone in production.

We were lied to! That’s it! Can’t sugar coat it.

Also, like I’ve said a dozen times before, NS had major delays with their trident but they never took people’s money for a product that didn’t work. So no, it’s not the same.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we’re now been told the ion probe is not stable in beta testing.
Not true, GHL said "beta test results has shown that different environmental conditions can affect the IOND readings". I understand by this statement that some beta tester seem got some inexact readings caused by specific water composition of their tank. They didn't talk about stability issue. Each tank are different. The chemical composition of the original IOND sensor may suitable well with the GHL lab tanks water, but with field beta test maybe they discovered that some tester's tanks's water affect readings.

They said "so the chemical composition of the sensors will be optimized again" I understand by this statement they will change chemical composition of the sensor to be more selective and less affected by other ion. I see some article about this on Google
So you can't say "We were lied to! That’s it!"

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL is not an American company. They sell worldwide. They are not going to let whiny impatient Americans dictate when it gets released. It will be tested until it's right, then it will be released. We will not be the guinea pigs to test it. One thing everyone agrees with is GHL products work and work well. That is why I'm invested in GHL. Do what you want. They've offered to return people's money.
It's a good thing your not a representative for GHL ;) .

If GHL had made a statement like that I would say well then don't take those "Whiny Impatient Americans" Money until you actually have a working product.
Also your assumption that GHL is prepared to refund everyone's money is very presumptive. Everytime the Drum beat of refund got louder and caused several people to ask for refunds GHL quickly came out with some more information or promises. So it evidently is an issue for them!
Given everything that is happening globally I do not think they are prepared to offer 300-500 refunds in a single week, as that would be a huge chunk of capitol to loose and it's most likely money that has already been spent.

Lastly that disregard approach for the Whiny Americans was the same thing that pushed Aquatronica from a rising industry leader down to a small insignificant controller company. It's very clear that EU and Asian sales alone are not enough to keep any of these EU aquarium companies viable.

Last edited:

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You told me not to stress earlier and I think you shouldn’t stress either about other opinions. It’s good advice and not worth getting upset and name calling others

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who just keep banging on about getting your kidney, sorry, money back... that’s not even the point.
1. pay preorder in 2019 for feb 2020 shipment. Also don’t forget, the original release date was Dec 2019.
2. COVID hits so there are “supply issues”
3. March 2020 deadline nears and they are going to use opportunity to “redesign” from the ground up.
3. Feb 2021 after the upteenth failed release date, we’re now been told the ion probe is not stable in beta testing.

The problem is not whether we can get our money back, it’s not that the whole “trident” saga was the same if not worse, it’s that we all handed over money for a working product that clearly didn’t exist at the time, let alone in production.

We were lied to! That’s it! Can’t sugar coat it.

Also, like I’ve said a dozen times before, NS had major delays with their trident but they never took people’s money for a product that didn’t work. So no, it’s not the same.
Let's see.....Your Mom and Dad lied to you about Santa Clause. Your lied to everytime a politician opens their mouth, when you watch the news or everytime you see a commercial and think they care more about your happiness instead of putting a dollar or two in their pocket.
Most marriages have someone keeping something from their other half. Especially in this hobby.
I don't recall there being a working product at release. It was an introduction to the concept. Kinda like playing the stock market. Get your money back

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good thing your not a representative for GHL ;) .

If GHL had made a statement like that I would say well then don't take those "Whiny Impatient Americans" Money until you actually have a working product. Also your assumption that GHL is prepared to refund everyone's money is very presumptive. Everytime the Drum beat of refund got louder and caused several people to ask for refunds GHL quickly came out with some more information or promises. So it evidently is an issue for them!
Given everything that is happening globaly I do not think they are prepared to offer 300-500 refunds in a single week, as that would be a huge chunk of capitol to loose and it's most likely money that has already been spent.

Lastly that disregard approach for the Whiny Americans was the same thing that pushed Aquatronica from a rising industry leader down to a small insignificant controller company. It's very clear that EU and Asian sales alone are not enough to keep any of these EU aquarium companies viable.
You opted out. Why are you still here talking about it? We knew at the time there wasn't a working product. And you have no idea what their financial situation is.

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't resist.
popcorn.gif

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back