Iron causing temporary turbidity

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding 10 ml of Seachem flurish iron to my tank (110g) once a week. Within minutes the water become turbid for about an hour. Any idea what is the cause (too fast for bacterial growth)?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding 10 ml of Seachem flurish iron to my tank (110g) once a week. Within minutes the water become turbid for about an hour. Any idea what is the cause (too fast for bacterial growth)?
This product is iron gluconate, right? New bottle? Clear solution being added?

What you describe sounds like a precipitate forming, though if it’s chelated iron, I am at a loss to explain.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using anything else in your tank? Oxidizers? Iron can precipitate, but usually iron dosing products are stable a little longer than that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a super high dose. That dose is intended for planted tanks, not reefs.

the product is 10,000 ppm. You dosed the tank to 0.2 ppm.

id recommend 50-100 times less for a reef.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product is iron gluconate, right? New bottle? Clear solution being added?

What you describe sounds like a precipitate forming, though if it’s chelated iron, I am at a loss to explain.
No precipittation as its 10 ml in 420 liters

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using anything else in your tank? Oxidizers? Iron can precipitate, but usually iron dosing products are stable a little longer than that.
No oxidizers The only iron precipitation that I have is in the dosing container #1 (Aquaforest 123+)

That’s a super high dose. That dose is intended for planted tanks, not reefs.

the product is 10,000 ppm. You dosed the tank to 0.2 ppm.

id recommend 50-100 times less for a reef.
OOPS... I have been doing it for over a year. I will correct it from now on. I do have a lot of algae (and some Chaeto) (due to many heavily fed fish). Is it possible that the algae are secreting their natural chelators?
I guess that what saved me from doing real damage is the fact that the iron-gluconate is probably absorbed quickly. I know iron can be is very toxic (Many years ago Dr. Richard Klausner was my Branch chief :cool: calling Fe "The double edge sword").

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No oxidizers The only iron precipitation that I have is in the dosing container #1 (Aquaforest 123+)

OOPS... I have been doing it for over a year. I will correct it from now on. I do have a lot of algae (and some Chaeto) (due to many heavily fed fish). Is it possible that the algae are secreting their natural chelators?
I guess that what saved me from doing real damage is the fact that the iron-gluconate is probably absorbed quickly. I know iron can be is very toxic (Many years ago Dr. Richard Klausner was my Branch chief :cool: calling Fe "The double edge sword").

To be honest, I’m not sure what the turbidity is, assuming Seachem made the product as claimed.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turbidity is rather minor though visible, and temporary in about an hour it is gone.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back