Irritation from rally pro & No ich?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See if you can identify what it is, but if your other fish are in quarantine and you have no other tanks then that might become their home for a long time.
Moving all the fish to a qt could cause ammonia issues, moving quarantined fish would contaminate them with fixing the tank. Need to ID issue and plan your course of action

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what did you add that might have caused the issue your tank is having?

Nope I haven’t added a fish for a couple months. My theory is that there was cross contamination from the QT, because I had a fish die there about a month back, but I never IDd any obvious disease on it, and I know for a fact that there were some precautions that were forgotten while I was on vacation a bit after that.

can I do a formalin freshwater dip or do those need to be separate?

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I came home and found a bunch of my QT equipment lying in front of my DT

1639513284794.jpeg

Last edited:

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope I haven’t added a fish for a couple months. My theory is that there was cross contamination from the QT, because I had a fish die there about a month back, but I never IDd any obvious disease on it, and I know for a fact that there were some precautions that were forgotten while I was on vacation a bit after that.

can I do a formalin freshwater dip or do those need to be separate?

Do a FW did and see if anything is on bottom of container afterwards

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would StressGuard in the dip be helpful?

Never used it but doubt it. If there’s velvet or brook in the tank both are fast killers and need meds. Formalin for velvet and brook should only be used a bath and metro can be used as a bath or dosing reef tank when used per instructions

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Carbon has been running for about 5 hours, and I have already observed some behavior differences with the fish. No one is flashing, no one is hanging out in the high current areas. I am going into observation mode for the time being to see what happens overnight.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: Carbon has been running for about 5 hours, and I have already observed some behavior differences with the fish. No one is flashing, no one is hanging out in the high current areas. I am going into observation mode for the time being to see what happens overnight.

They were in high current areas and flashing? I would start planning for a plan the life cycle possibly starting over and if there is a parasite it multiplies

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were in high current areas and flashing? I would start planning for a plan the life cycle possibly starting over and if there is a parasite it multiplies

Yeah, that's the mystifying part. The butterfly has been flashing a bit, and the butterfly and blenny have been hanging out in the current. But it just doesn't look like diseases you'd expect. And I have seen the blenny flash before just because it's irritated by medication.

It will be interesting to see if I can extract these guys for a FW bath...no luck so far

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip on the butterfly, who had it the worst, is complete. Definitely a lot of tiny brown particles at the bottom of the bucket

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Freshwater dip on the butterfly, who had it the worst, is complete. Definitely a lot of tiny brown particles at the bottom of the bucket

Does it look like black ich?

You can dose general cure which contains prazi and metro or get praziquantel.
Make sure it’s prazi in powder and you can use vodka or dmso to dissolve.
I think I would go with general cure to dose and also lace food.

Have you done either meds with your quarantined fish?

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worse this morning, Blenny appears to be dying and the butterfly looks like it is developing into almost stringy white hanging off of him

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

So I have been treating with Rally Pro and No-Ich for about a week now, and I am a bit mystified with the results. Things are neither getting better or worse. I have a tail spot blenny, butterfly and half black angel that have symptoms that still persist, and there is absolutely nothing on the other fish. What is making me wonder is that these three are kind of known for being sensitive to medications - what would medication sensitivity look like? I don't want to stop dosing the medication if that means the issue is going to come roaring back, and I don't want to keep dosing if the medication is driving the skin problems I'm seeing on these fish.

What I am seeing on the fish doesn't look like white spots, it looks almost flaky. I will try to get a decent picture.

998BF743-0834-441E-A9E8-CA5F25609B58.jpeg 0C166035-B245-4BFE-B628-49C6C6D4E58A.jpeg 48C06D10-DAEE-4869-A792-1A4AF9A0AD09.jpeg 3CF7348C-BA9D-495C-9166-50CCC284779E.jpeg 787CC0F0-89AE-4B1B-97FC-42143DF7C233.jpeg C70B9991-23BB-43F4-B4CD-48CE9841B6AC.jpeg
Idk how well no ich works

rally treats infection

no ich likely works something like kick ich, doesn't kill the stuff on fish, only some ich thats in the water

The best combo for reef safe from what ive heard is kick ich (maybe no ich but honestly don't know much about it) and Metroplex + focus (or something that binds anti ich meds to food)

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is worse this morning, Blenny appears to be dying and the butterfly looks like it is developing into almost stringy white hanging off of him

If the coat looks like it’s falling off most likely brook and could be past saving some.
You’ve already said you can’t set up a hospital tank, dose general cure or metro. I would get general cure and dose 1 packet per 10g of water

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry to hear this :( i lost one of mine today.. i hope you have better luck

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you have Rally and could do a rally bath. It’s a heavier dosage and dose the tank. The bath will provide temporary relief and the rally in the tank should provide a band aid

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you have Rally and could do a rally bath. It’s a heavier dosage and dose the tank. The bath will provide temporary relief and the rally in the tank should provide a band aid

Yes, I have a brand new bottle of rally with me now instead of an old bottle I bought off the LFS because it's all they had, and have started using it again today. Holding off on the ICH treatment as it says it takes 4-5 days to degrade, after which I will reconsider using the new bottle of Kick-Ich I have if new issues appear. One thing I noticed is that the rally behaved very differently in the water from the new bottle, and it's supposed to have a year shelf life, so perhaps I got some degraded medications. We'll see.

I've been also giving them some stress guard to try to help with healing on the skin issues, and will be introducing a garlic soak to their food starting today.

It is still mysterious that it is not more aggressively spreading to other fish yet. Crossing my fingers. Especially because the Blenny has disappeared and I don't want him to turn into a parasite grenade if he's dead somewhere in the tank!

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe there are 2 different versions. Did you happen to see if it had nano or pro?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back