Is 11 fish too much for this 75g setup

Stardust2080

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
I have a 75 Gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump below. It's 7 months old and its doing very well.

I have 8 fish right now with some cuc. (cleaner shrimp, emerald Crab, 15 rl hermits, 15 Ast. snails)
My fish are all peaceful and get along well. 1 Striped Blenny, 1 Diamondback Goby, 1 red firefish, 2 purple firefish, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Pajama Cardinalfish, 1 Despar Anthias.

The Red Firefish and the bigger Purple firefish hang out in the back right side of the tank, The pajama hangs out near them but in the rock arches. My other smaller purple and the anthias hang out in the front left side. Diamondback sand sifting all over. Lawnmower hangs out inside all the rocks. And the Blenny also goes all over.

I want to finish this tank off with a peaceful clownfish and anemone to host next, then a fairy Wrasse and a B.Tomini last

Thoughts?

photo_2021-08-20_11-21-09.jpg photo_2021-08-20_11-44-05.jpg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the wrasse and the tang

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended minimum size tank for most fairy wrasses is 90 gallons, for the tang it's 70 gallons. So, you will probably be pushing the limit a bit. Combined with the other fish, you might also be pushing the bio-load a little, so watch your water parameters until you are sure everything is stable. Be sure to quarantine your new fish before adding them to the tank. Since the other fish are doing well, don't risk them by adding new ones that might be carrying crypto, flukes or other parasites.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow tang in my 75, along with two 3 stripe damsels, 2 clowns, 1 filefish, 1 flamehawk, and 1 BG chromis. They all get along fine except for the 3 stripes, they are bullies the YT keeps in line. The third pic is the yellow in the 46 bowfront when I first got him he was small a couple years ago with plans of upgrading to larger tank.

IMG_0040.JPG 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1221].jpg 2020 2.jpg 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1221].jpg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just had a member having trouble with er tank. She striped it down and rebuilt it. While doing so discovery her husband had used 2 brass fittings. They lost the brass coating and was leaching copper, etc which was affecting her corals….replace with PVC.

OP
OP
S

Stardust2080

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just had a member having trouble with er tank. She striped it down and rebuilt it. While doing so discovery her husband had used 2 brass fittings. They lost the brass coating and was leaching copper, etc which was affecting her corals….replace with PVC.
Does the inexpensive pvc have issues getting stuck when opening and closing? ALso I couldnt find a non metal shut off valve. Any idea where I can order find one?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the inexpensive pvc have issues getting stuck when opening and closing? ALso I couldnt find a non metal shut off valve. Any idea where I can order find one?

You can buy a not inexpensive gate valve. They work fantastic.

Also your stocking plan looks fine to me as long as filtration can handle it.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
I have a 75 Gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump below. It's 7 months old and its doing very well.

I have 8 fish right now with some cuc. (cleaner shrimp, emerald Crab, 15 rl hermits, 15 Ast. snails)
My fish are all peaceful and get along well. 1 Striped Blenny, 1 Diamondback Goby, 1 red firefish, 2 purple firefish, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Pajama Cardinalfish, 1 Despar Anthias.

The Red Firefish and the bigger Purple firefish hang out in the back right side of the tank, The pajama hangs out near them but in the rock arches. My other smaller purple and the anthias hang out in the front left side. Diamondback sand sifting all over. Lawnmower hangs out inside all the rocks. And the Blenny also goes all over.

I want to finish this tank off with a peaceful clownfish and anemone to host next, then a fairy Wrasse and a B.Tomini last

Thoughts?

photo_2021-08-20_11-21-09.jpg photo_2021-08-20_11-44-05.jpg
Absolutely add those 3 fish. Do it gradually though. You have minimal bio load in that tank right now. Those 8 fish combined probably consume less food than 1 tang.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to your fish and potential newcomers, you shouldn't have any problems. Know that you might need to rehome the tomini if he starts to outgrow the tank. I had a kole in a 75 and after about a year it felt, as least to me, like he needed more space as he became more territorial. The fairy wrasse will to swim back and forth, but should be fine. I have 2 in a 120, so same length as a 75. Do your maintenance and don't overfeed. Water changes weekly. You'll be fine.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything I read was Brass was ok. What should I replace it with? I have the brass valve on the right too.
I have PVC gate valve and plastic check valves for my system. I don't know where you got that info that brass is okay, it is not okay. Check amazon, pool supply web sites, that is where I get mine. Plumb the gate and check valve with union fittings so you can remove them easily for cleaning. I have several extra valves of each for quick replacement to clean.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back