Is a 3 day blackout worth it for me

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been up and running now for a couple months. It s a 120 with 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 clowns right now. There is also several pieces of corals ranging from acans to several euphylilla’s as well as a jawbreaker. I have noticed algae growing on the rocks. It appears to be stringy and when I hit everything with a Turkey baster it doesn’t just disappear like diatoms. It comes off the rocks, but in clumps. I don’t know what type of algae this is but my question is would I benefit from a 3 day blackout or should I leave it alone since the tank is so new. I am not running any carbon or GFO right now since my last phosphate reading using the Hanna ULR read .04. I have a Kessil AP700 and 2 hydra 26’s lighting the tank Not sure you can tell but here are the pictures. Thoughts? Any help will be much appreciated.

12DCCCA1-C58C-4AE4-B6E6-8B6C4BC973D8.jpeg 4F8412E1-DE27-4105-93C2-14FA8762D75D.jpeg 09996EDE-F854-4177-A5FF-5B270CBB05F7.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank doesn't look that bad? I wouldn't go on a three day bender/black-out over what I can see. I like sobriety too much!
Lets see what more rational folk will recommend?

FruiTee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have dinos, blackouts are pretty much a band-aid for them as they'll return when your lights come on research a lot on dinos before making your decision on how to tackle them

They're mostly seen in immature tanks (under 1 year) when stripped of nutrients Po4 and No3

If your nutrients are at 0 bump them up

FruiTee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have dinos, blackouts are pretty much a band-aid for them as they'll return when your lights come on research a lot on dinos before making your decision on how to tackle them

They're mostly seen in immature tanks (under 1 year) when stripped of nutrients Po4 and No3

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ugh I was scared it may be Dino’s but didn’t want say it. That sucks.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever action I decide I hope it doesn’t hurt my inhabitants. I would
Like to take more of a natural approach then dosing all kinds of chemicals. Gonna black out tank for 3 days and dose nitrates and phosphates to see what happens.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like dino’s from the picture with the bubbles etc

I would try the 3 day blackout but very importantly also increase flow to the affected areas and see if that works as a quick easy fix, it did for me years ago and they never came back. You don’t need to wrap the tank, just lights and room lights out and any curtains closed etc.

I don’t know what your nitrate level is but if it’s very low increase it to around 10-20 to try an encourage other organisms into the system. Go easy on the phosphate a good target it less than 0.03 to avoid other issues.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did the 3 day blackout on day three I brushed all the rock work which caused my filter socks to clog. Had to clean them twice. Phosphates are at .06 right now and nitrates are about 10 ppm. Sandbed looks perfect and rock work doesn’t have anymore snot on them. I guess time will tell but so far so good. Maybe I had a mild case that I was able to control. Fingers crossed.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did the 3 day blackout on day three I brushed all the rock work which caused my filter socks to clog. Had to clean them twice. Phosphates are at .06 right now and nitrates are about 10 ppm. Sandbed looks perfect and rock work doesn’t have anymore snot on them. I guess time will tell but so far so good. Maybe I had a mild case that I was able to control. Fingers crossed.
How long ago did you do the blackout?

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days as of yesterday at 1:30 eastern time. During day 3 I brushed everything off amd cleaned socks out and so far tank is looking decent. I know it’s early but it’s promising. I also cut back my lights right now. I have 2 hydra 26’s and an AP700 on the tank,but I only have the Kessil going for now.

Back