Is a crack in bottom black trim a concern?

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about a crack in the corner of the black trim around the bottom of my tank? Are these structural or just for looks? No leaks detected anywhere. Anyway I can fix it or should I start looking for a new tank? I don’t want to come in to 55 gallons of water in my floor

039B973C-DDD1-4088-A0A0-70B4704BC0D1.jpeg

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These plastic rims have a brace built in. Is how they get away with slightly thinner glass, and taller tanks. Is this a 55 tall, or long? Does it have an over flow? You could get away with draining a bit of water to take pressure off tank. Also luckily for you they usually have a sale in November for 40-60% off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be right but this is the bottom cover. It is either already moved so not safe or what I think happened the plastic peace is so old that it has shrunk and already not holding a thing.
I could be wrong but I think that peace has little relevance
The stand has a chip in that same corner that I noticed the day I picked it up. I’m wondering if it took a hit from something at some point (she kept her grandkids all the time) that nicked the stand and cracked the plastic trim. It does kinda look like it got cracked and has shrank some now that you mention it. The only thing that really scares me is how have I just now noticed if it’s always been that bad… unless rhe chip in the stand has just distracted me up until this point. I’ve only had it about a month. I have messaged the company that I think made the aquarium to see if they will tell me if I should worry or not. Honestly if this had been in the back corner I would have never seen it! I have since checked all corners and this is the only one with any kind of ding in it at all. None of the other three even have a scratch!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These plastic rims have a brace built in. Is how they get away with slightly thinner glass, and taller tanks. Is this a 55 tall, or long? Does it have an over flow? You could get away with draining a bit of water to take pressure off tank. Also luckily for you they usually have a sale in November for 40-60% off.
The top brace is in perfect condition. This is a bottom corner. It’s a 55 long. No overflow just a simple freshwater setup.

Upvote 0

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe drain some water out until you get a new one. As long as filter doesn't run dry. That should buy you some time. Have had this happen to a few older tanks I had. Especially if they sit out side for some time. In fact one time I was re siliconing an old 90g. Well I broke the top brace leaning on it. They told me they only came in 2 packs when I needed one. To add they were ridiculously expensive. Drained it to half and used it for fry for over a year. I wouldn't use yours for long term, but I wouldn't worry about it much if you go get a new one soon. Good timing for an upgrade I know sales usually coming soon.

Upvote 0

Reefstick555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have just explained why it is not structural. No way on earth that plastic is more than design
Yeah, that was kind of a mind-puke of thought. What I meant was - I always thought it is necessary to have the manufactures frame on the tank to help support the silicon bond that holds the panels together. I should have put "yes, it is important"

Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that was kind of a mind-puke of thought. What I meant was - I always thought it is necessary to have the manufactures frame on the tank to help support the silicon bond that holds the panels together. I should have put "yes, it is important"
Maybe on the top it does something.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about a crack in the corner of the black trim around the bottom of my tank? Are these structural or just for looks? No leaks detected anywhere. Anyway I can fix it or should I start looking for a new tank? I don’t want to come in to 55 gallons of water in my floor

039B973C-DDD1-4088-A0A0-70B4704BC0D1.jpeg

Welcome! Glad you joined.

GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us posted. There are already lots of comments on structure. ... Don't forget duct tape can be temporary patch.

This is a great reference book type article I still refer:

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back