Is a crack in bottom black trim a concern?

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about a crack in the corner of the black trim around the bottom of my tank? Are these structural or just for looks? No leaks detected anywhere. Anyway I can fix it or should I start looking for a new tank? I don’t want to come in to 55 gallons of water in my floor

039B973C-DDD1-4088-A0A0-70B4704BC0D1.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Has this tank been resealed?

Always a risk/benefit question- how much damage will be done to your home if this tank leaks and will you lose sleep worrying about it?

28B7399B-4656-4459-AC43-0F07DB5D028C.gif

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you try to contact the tank manufacturer.
The plastic frame around the tops of tanks is absolutely structural, and I suspect the bottom is too.
The location of the break in the corner may not present the same risk as a break elsewhere, but probably only the manufacturer can say for sure.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R.
I would assume that the frame is structural and would work on getting the tank replaced quickly. I've had about 5 gallons of water in my living room floor and it seemed like a lot. I can't imagine having a whole tank break.

Upvote 0

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that trim? It looks like some kind of wood/MDF. Odd choice for an aquarium since it's going to get wet. Even if not, I'm going to assume that glass is 5/16 or less (my 55 is 7/32 with plastic trim). That likely isn't thick enough to provide sufficient safety factors we like without trim. Really surprising how much those tanks rely on a little plastic strip that ages, oxidizes and loses integrity.

Doesn't mean it will fail immediately or ever. But the safety factor is reduced with damaged trim if designed for it. Add in minor manufacturing defects, aging of silicone, bowing of glass etc and then we start losing sleep.

That said, a new tank is fine with relatively thin glass and plastic trim and I'm not inherently opposed to the design. Have had several, no failures even with old trim. They are relatively inexpensive and if manufactured correctly will last years.

Upvote 2

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about a crack in the corner of the black trim around the bottom of my tank? Are these structural or just for looks? No leaks detected anywhere. Anyway I can fix it or should I start looking for a new tank? I don’t want to come in to 55 gallons of water in my floor

Unlikely structural

welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Upvote 0

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Little over a year ago my 135g developed a significant leak from underneath near the corner. It was leaking close to a gallon a day. I was able to to funnel into the sump while waiting for a new tank. Once I drained it and pulled it out from wall I found the corner was cracked identical to your pic. Funny our similar it looks as mine also had the faux woodgrain look. I'd replace as quickly as possible!

Upvote 0

Reefstick555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g cracked in the same place... oh the HORROR!! I would replace it... mine made it a good 6 months like that, then I woke up one morning to a half full tank of toxic coral soup. I am just glad it was in the basement and not on the first floor of the house. That smell would not come out of carpet. ;)

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you could use one of those metal bands they use in packing to tighten around the perimeter of the trim in order to secure it
My luck,

Ok, turn that tension screw just one more quarter turn......
U'mm, still not enough, one more quarter turn..........
Ahhh, look'n good!..........
craaaaaaaack
splaaaaash

Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of pounds per square inch pushing out on those glass panels. One gallon is 8.3 pounds. That little plastic band is like a heavy weight belt. It might work... but nothing is as secure as that plastic frame and a good silicon bond.
You have just explained why it is not structural. No way on earth that plastic is more than design

Upvote 0

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 2 cents.

I remember reading that the bottom frame on tanks like that are structural. The top frames become structural for anything I believe 30/50+, hence you start seeing the cross brace(s). I have one on my a 36 bow front. Below 30 they're mostly there for esthetics and to protect the corners/edges.

Just from the pic; what I see looks to be a solid, clean and still pliable silicone. IF that is true inside and out it is possible one of the sites that sells replacement frames could salvage your tank. They're like $50-100 ... I don't remember off hand but I didn't think it was unreasonable. (I want black ones for a used 75 I'm rebuilding) Just be aware that I saw a lot of comments about the measurements not fitting all tanks.

That's all. Replacing the frame seems easy enough if you're handy at all. Watched a few videos to learn how to rebuild my 75. Just be patient.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have just explained why it is not structural. No way on earth that plastic is more than design
The top plastic frame is absolutely structural. Manufacturers warn not to cut the cross members or the glass walls will bulge and eventually damage the silicone joints. As with any multi component structures, it's the sum of the pieces that make it work, not each piece individually.

I suggest talking to the manufacturer because I don't know if that holds true for the bottom where the bottom glass provides lateral strength.

Also, if you check, I think you will see that manufacturers of rimless aquariums use thicker glass or acrylic to provide more lateral strength.

Upvote 0

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck,

Ok, turn that tension screw just one more quarter turn......
U'mm, still not enough, one more quarter turn..........
Ahhh, look'n good!..........
craaaaaaaack
splaaaaash
LOL
Mine would be trying to put the band around the tank and cracking the top edge.

(Murphy's Law and our family have a thing going on. )

Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding the plastic frame is part of the structure (top and bottom). I have seen posts in freshwater forums where people ask if the trim can be removed to make the tank rimless. People have had problems. I also read that the bottom trim aids in keeping the tank level and removes pressure points which is why you don't need a leveling pad under these tanks. The tank itself sits in a ledge inside the bottom trim so the bottom trim serves two purposes, levelling and structural support. This is what I read and the person making these comments supposedly was a builder of tanks. I guess the bigger concern is now that the trim is cracked will the crack grow. It might be OK now but it might not be tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Back