is a sump needed on a 30 gal

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am new to this hobby. i have a 30 gal long that is in the nitrite stage of cycle, it is taking forever. i have a fluval canister filter packed with carbon biomax and clearmax. i also have a bio wheel 200 that i have left on just for extra support as the fluval is a 105 and only moves 90 gal an hour. is this sufficient or is a sump system really need i do plan on adding a protien skimmer, when i find one that is not made to run a 100 gal. any help on that would be appreciated. i am still waiting on my light shipment was delayed a week due to hurricane irene. it is a deep blue solarextreme, 36" 4 bulb. i have limited space also the tank is not drilled for a sump. one last question what is the current system capable of supporting.

SaltyReefs

Reef Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am new to this hobby. i have a 30 gal long that is in the nitrite stage of cycle, it is taking forever. i have a fluval canister filter packed with carbon biomax and clearmax. i also have a bio wheel 200 that i have left on just for extra support as the fluval is a 105 and only moves 90 gal an hour. is this sufficient or is a sump system really need i do plan on adding a protien skimmer, when i find one that is not made to run a 100 gal. any help on that would be appreciated. i am still waiting on my light shipment was delayed a week due to hurricane irene. it is a deep blue solarextreme, 36" 4 bulb. i have limited space also the tank is not drilled for a sump. one last question what is the current system capable of supporting.

It's not necessary but would be nice since the larger the water volume the easier it is to keep your inhabitants happy and alive. Smaller systems require more attention and more maintnance. I would personally get rid of the canister filter and just keep the HOB if it is rated for your tank size, if its for a bigger system thats a plus. If your going for a reef... YES on the skimmer very important piece of equipment. They also have HOB skimmers if you dont go for the sump. As for your tank not drilled, they sell overflow boxes. As for whats your system capable of supporting.. well just certain fish, you can keep just about any coral as long as your lighting permits.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back