Is an Apex really worth it?

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into equipment to possibly, and slowly, start accumulating equipment to set up a 225 gallon tank after we move into our new house next month.

I have been looking into an apex to help automate my system. Honestly, the more I look into it, the more it scares me. I'm not all that handy with electronics. I can whip up plumbing for a large tank, no problem. But, electricity and water freak me out. I guess you are good at one or the other right?

Anyway, back on topic, I would like to be able to have an ATO system with a fail safe just in case. I only plan on a 1-2 gallon reservoir to be safe and possibly a trigger systems Tideline 48 sump so I can have a nice Caulerpa crop growing in there with a nice and healthy pod population.

As you guys may know, I had a 90 gallon up and running that I bought after it was running for about 5 years before that so it was already cycled and everything so I'm going to have to relearn everything again. I figured a 225 would be enough water volume to help out with my learning curve. If you guys like, I can compile a list of equipment that I am thinking about getting over the next few years so I can get everything set up.

sir bonkers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its gonna be a case by case basis. Ive seen successful tanks with and without controllers. I had one and got rid of it and my tank is doing just fine. For me, no it isnt.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering the same thing. I think if you want to get fancy then it's worth it. It's not really good value if you ask me. Consider this brs has a Tunze osmolator for 145$ on Black Friday. Neptune apex doesn't offer this with their pack. Then you gotta buy modules to make things controllable. Want to control lights for your radion? Ok buy the module. Want to control your float switch, ok buy this. Want to control your pumps, buy this and that. $$$.

Long story short, if you want to get fancy, and pay for it, Neptune apex is the Ferrari, but without the tires. That said, I'm still going to buy it!

baadbay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an apex full and a reefkeeper i like my reef keeper a lot more than my apex and the upgrade are a lot cheaper

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally disagree that an Apex (or any controller) is just something fancy for your tank. Consider the money that you have invested on the inside of your tank. What will it be? $1000? $5000? No really, add it all up...Sand, rock, corals, fish, inverts, etc. It will add up extremely fast. Is spending $600 - $1000 smart money well spent to insure the health and safety of these animals and this very large investment? Out of the box an Apex, RKE, Reef Angel, Profilux, etc will email or text you if there is a problem. Will add stability and consistency to the environment that your livestock is living in. And it can monitor and track trends for diagnostic needs.

I would agree that a controller is not a necessity for a successful tank, however it is truly a wise investment.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heater went out last night and without my apex alerting me I would have lost the tank. Well over $5000 in livestock likely would have been lost. This is were apex pays for itself, not to mention the daily functions it controls in your tank. It's definitely worth it. And with Apex fusion the programming has never been easier

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people look at it like insurance. Like Dave and jt said...it could help save thousands in livestock.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself this...................... is a alarm system on your property needed?
Why do I have to wear a seatbelt as I'm the best driver........ are airbags overrated?
All this you will miss only if you really needed it.
I will not going in discussion what kind of controller will give you the secure feeling when you are away.
The point of having a aquarium control system will only work if you know what to do and how to program it for your needs, but that's a other topic.
And yes, there are awesome tanks out there without one, in most cases the controller won't make your livestock look the best but it will tell you if your good looking tank suddenly gets hot or cold or a PH drop or pumps stop working or don't stop working, even a power outage will be noticed and all can send to you through Emails or even a text on your phone.
Btw, I'm a happy owner of a APEX.
Hope this will help you and have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby for about 15 years. Only about 3 years ago did I buy the apex. I no think back, and wonder why I didn't buy this when they first came out. I will never have a tank without one again.

JMMJ13902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ditto.

I've had an RKE for years and finally switched over to an Apex and would never look back. It helps me running my lights, heater, ATO...etc. you name it.

Worths every penny.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I see wrong with a apex which I do own one but say a few years down the road it goes crazy. By then you aren't checking certain things anymore since you apex alerts you of those. I think as long as the are working they are great but it it goes crazy your screwed since your probably not checking things like ph or temp anymore. I just seen a guy who went on vacation. He tried connecting to his apex from his phone. It wouldn't let him connect figured there was something wrong with the server. He came home to a dead tank. So I think they are great but still need to keep a eye on things.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES ABSOLUTELY a great investment to the safety of ones Reeftank. I mostly successfully ran Marine tanks for 25+ years without a Controller but would now consider it a basic need on the equipment list. Redundancy is the key to success in Reefkeeping equipment and a Controller allows this easily. The only suggestion I would make is to buy the Full/Gold Apex or DA Elite to start with, I started with the Apex Lite and have needed to add in all the modules that the Full unit comes with already.

Cheers, Todd

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need more than a basic controller, $200
Anything beyond that should be considered a toy.

Research the different types of causes for "crashes" and you can control and or monitor them with a basic controller such as RKL with PH probe.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a full apex about 4 months ago and I love it best money I have spent on my tank. I was I the same position, wondering if I really needed it. So if your asking yourself that then you probably do. You can always buy the basic one but cheaper to buy it as a package but you can always add on modules as needed.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation. Sure you can't just assume it keeps consistent forever, but it helps you monitor a bunch. Automates a bunch. Does it need periodic upkeep? Sure. But what part of our tanks don't?

Worth every penny to me.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could care less about alerts and tracking and notifications. I've got an rke. It controls my calcium reactor, and used to control my BRS dosing pumps. It controls my ato, heater, lights, wave maker etc. it takes the place of many manual timers. Sure, you can buy many of these components with their own built in controller, but then you're monkeying with a bunch of separate controllers with no real safety net. I think the rke is a little more simple and intuitive compared to the apex, but that's because I've got zero skills in programming.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I have been looking into Ecotech Raidons as well. Will the apex connect to it or will I need the reeflink?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reeflink needed if you go with the APEX but need the WXM to run it wireless.
You can control Vortech pumps and Radions through the new Fusion and wireless app on your phone.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back