Is an mp40 too much for a 40b?

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I got a new tank that's completed cycle time and ready to play. So I got to settle on a setup and my options are an MP40 or multiple smaller old Jebaos, Is seems I got to turn the mp40 all the way down and that still seems like a lot of flow for the tank.... I cant control the speeds of the older Jebaos, what do you guys think? I guess I could look into a new pump if you all got a solid recommendation....

I used to just buy what I thought and that led to me having lots of spare equipment that didn't work so hope you all are ok with me asking some noobish questions.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what are you planing to keep?

Depending on live stock you will want different flow.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an MP40 at half speed reef crest on a BB 3’ Red Sea tank. Clowns love surfing the current and all my corals LPS/SPS seem to love it so far. Hoping to get a second on the other side soon to put lower.
A tank with sand may be a different story.

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 which is pretty close in dimensions and I have (2) MP40s and an MP10. Is this much flow necessary for a tank this size? Definitely not. My thinking is that when, not if, I upgrade I can use them on the new tank too. I will say that my MP40s have to stay under 35% or LPS will close up, so you will have to keep them way down. 20-25% reef crest is probably perfect. Also, if you run only one on the side it will create hot spots of flow and then dead spots. You are better off with more pumps that are lower power as opposed to one monster one. It also depends on what kind of tank you are after. Mixed tanks (SPS + LPS) can be tricky with flow, but also keep in mind the dead spots will trap detritus and you will have horrible algae growth there so just because you only have LPS doesn't mean you can have dead spots.

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, maybe I should add a photo tomorrow when the lights are on to get a better idea of the rock structure and how it would affect them, totally overlooked it. I have my rock work set up so the flow can go completely around the tank to help with the detritus, that was my failure in my first few setups.

As for fish, before I start the tank cycled for 10 weeks and has been good for some time so don't think I added fish to early... There is a small Purple Tang, a Juvenile Queen Angle, Juvenile Korean Angle, a Juvenile Coras Wrasse, a very small Yellow Watchmen & finally his buddy a Pistol Shrimp. They all sat in quarantine the whole time the tank was cycling..... and are getting along great so far.

As for corals I got a ton I can add, I got a 37g rimless I turned into a frag tank that has a bit of everything, was hoping to get a bit of everything eventually... I also got a Yellow-Eyed Kole tang in my Frag tank but he is much bigger than the rest. I wanted to move him over but I'm thinking he might bully everyone.

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I didn't forget just busy, made a short video to show the tank and flow to get a better idea, it cut off and ill i was saying is when I turn up the flow that goniopora then pulls fully in.

40b Rock Structure

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you were going up to a bigger tank eventually but I would not put a queen angel in anything less than 300 gallons they get really big! That being said buy once cry once get the biggest multiple controllable pumps you can afford.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, maybe I should add a photo tomorrow when the lights are on to get a better idea of the rock structure and how it would affect them, totally overlooked it. I have my rock work set up so the flow can go completely around the tank to help with the detritus, that was my failure in my first few setups.

As for fish, before I start the tank cycled for 10 weeks and has been good for some time so don't think I added fish to early... There is a small Purple Tang, a Juvenile Queen Angle, Juvenile Korean Angle, a Juvenile Coras Wrasse, a very small Yellow Watchmen & finally his buddy a Pistol Shrimp. They all sat in quarantine the whole time the tank was cycling..... and are getting along great so far.

As for corals I got a ton I can add, I got a 37g rimless I turned into a frag tank that has a bit of everything, was hoping to get a bit of everything eventually... I also got a Yellow-Eyed Kole tang in my Frag tank but he is much bigger than the rest. I wanted to move him over but I'm thinking he might bully everyone.
All of these fish are in your 40 breeder and you want to move over a kole tang? I don't know when you were planning on moving these guys to a larger tank, but I'm going to guess it's sooner than you are imagining. Best of luck?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It can always be turned down and provides flexibility down the road should you choose to upgrade. Additionally, it is larger overall so the flow is a more open broader stream as compared to a MP10 which is always a plus.

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these fish are in your 40 breeder and you want to move over a kole tang? I don't know when you were planning on moving these guys to a larger tank, but I'm going to guess it's sooner than you are imagining. Best of luck?

If you watched the video you know they are all very small and I got bigger tanks already, 2 - 1-2 inch angles, 1-2 inch tang and a wrasse that is maybe 2 inches with a watchman goby that isn't even an inch.... I don't think that tank is overfilled by any means.. But thanks and please don't comment with the sarcasm again. People like you are why I never ask questions and you offer nothing to the conversation but a negative vibe!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watched the video you know they are all very small and I got bigger tanks already, 2 - 1-2 inch angles, 1-2 inch tang and a wrasse that is maybe 2 inches with a watchman goby that isn't even an inch.... I don't think that tank is overfilled by any means.. But thanks and please don't comment with the sarcasm again. People like you are why I never ask questions and you offer nothing to the conversation but a negative vibe!
I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying the tank is "over filled." Simply none of those species will last long in a 40 breeder before needing more room. From the video, the purple tang is already at the edge (if not over) of what you could keep in the 40 breeder. I was simply trying to warn you that they will all quickly outgrow that tank sooner than you would have guessed.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g 36x24x20 mostly sps tank and 2x MP40 were too much flow no matter what mode and intensity I put them in.

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying the tank is "over filled." Simply none of those species will last long in a 40 breeder before needing more room. From the video, the purple tang is already at the edge (if not over) of what you could keep in the 40 breeder. I was simply trying to warn you that they will all quickly outgrow that tank sooner than you would have guessed.

ok my bad, I got other tanks just these guys are too small for them currently.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A total waste of money for a 40b. In a couple of years you will even be lucky if the thing still works good enough to transfer to a diff tank. My two cents. I have owned the stuff before. Not impressed

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A total waste of money for a 40b. In a couple of years you will even be lucky if the thing still works good enough to transfer to a diff tank. My two cents. I have owned the stuff before. Not impressed

Never said I was going to buy one I already got one....

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why is it a waste of money? I’ve got one MP40wES from 2013 and an MP40wQD from 2015 still running strong. Still on the same wet side on the QD and on the second wet side on the ES. IMO running a pump at full speed all the time is what premature their lifespan.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back