Is AquaForest the next evolution of zeolite use?

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but what a lot of bunk!

I want to know exactly what ingredients are in this bottle and others like it, I don't need dilutions, percentages or otherwise, just the ingredients and their purity!
IMG_4589.JPG

I make my own iron supplement and show an image here with full ingredient disclosure, not difficult for the others to do also, I'm sure.

IMG_4590.JPG

I have looked at the full range of Af products and do note that they include many, if not most of the active ingredients in their various supplements.

+1. I make my own iron supplement as well

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why AF doesn't suggest shaking their zeolite media. However, I shake it, two times per day, just as I would any other zeolite media. Like Squamosa, I used to get very put off by the fact that aquarium additives don't disclose their exact content. At that time, I would have likely favored reform that held them to the same standards as other products where regulations forced disclosure. That was before I read and understood what regulations forcing disclosure entail and realized that if a product has to disclose everything within it, it's likely it has to gain various government approvals which is costly and time-consuming.

Now that doesn't mean that aquatics additives couldn't disclose their contents by choice and in an effort to be fully transparent with their customers. I think we all know why they don't. One, such disclosure would be risking that other companies will simply mimic the formula and sell it for cheaper. Two, such disclosure may give aquarists the opportunity to formulate something on their own for far cheaper. What you have is exactly what you see on the bottles, promises that additives will boost corals, heighten growth, etc, etc without any idea what's within and no way to fact check the claims made. This has been a frustration for aquarists for a long time and I feel the only way it will change, is if aquatics additives are held to the same standards as products like lotion, soaps, etc - which I don't think anyone wants. The other issue is that aquarists may be spending 30,40,50 dollars or more on bottles of mixtures they could make for a few dollars or less.

The reality is that anyone can research how to make their own reef supplements if they want to invest the time and effort. In my earlier years as a reef keeper, when additives were scant and I was in college (with little financial resources) I made all of my own additives. It's a trade off spending more for something pre-mixed as it saves time and effort tracking down individual ingredients. I do however commend BRS for offering bulk products aquarists can use to mix their own additives, as it is far cheaper than buying pre-mixed vials. However, it doesn't work well if you're trying to follow a specific methodology, such as AF. Luckily there are many, many ways to keep a beautiful reef tank, so aquarists can pick and choose what they want to pursue.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I completely agree with Jeremy regarding the disclosure and DIY solutions. If we are dosing Mg or Ca we can always buy CaCl2 or MgCl2 and dose them like we used to do earlier.But the tough part will the aminos, vitamins and specially the probiotics. The exact ratio and components will be highly variable based on different company recipes. When I started AF I used to dose BRS Ca and Mg adn till now I use BRS carbon and GFO. Does it effect negatively my reef, nope. I use biopellet in my reactor with AF system it works fine too. I tried using fuge but that did not go well as its ULNS. Its always depends on the reefer if they are open to experimentation or not.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the AF system so far. But I am very confused on why they say the zeolites do not need to be shaken. I would say shaking zeolites is one of the ways to keep the material working well. I have to shake them or bacterial buildup becomes too much. Especially in a reactor with gfo and carbon, doesn't work for me.
I like how aquaforests copper sulphate additive is very mild. I do wish they would make bigger bottels for us that have 300+ gallon tanks!
I have not tried the probiotic salt because I have leftover water in my water change system after a change.
If your careful with the droppers they won't break. Don't over tighten or use the dropper to open. Zeovit has much better quality bottles by far imo.

AF states what's in most of their bottles except the ones that are their own named cocktail like build. This is the reason I tried it as well.

Do you still shake the zeolites? I'm thinking about putting them into an auto shaker.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back