Is copper necessary for macro algae??

Rowboman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2022
Messages
135
Reaction score
67
Location
The Dalles
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was recently listing to an old reef therapy podcast where Chris Meckley mentioned he doses copper to maintain a ppb of 9 in his systems since copper if necessary for photosynthetic organisms. I’m in the works of starting a small coral farm in my shop where each system will have a display refugium full of different types of macro algae’s and this podcast got into my head about the benefits of dosing copper carefully along with ICP testing. Anyone have opinions on this?
 
Yes, macro use copper, as do corals, they also use lots of trace
Elements. There’s no reason to fixate on copper.

I’d consider either adding lots of independent additives, or much easier, a premade mix such as Tropic Marin A and K.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new