Is coral frenzy enough food for anenomes?

Devon93274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a haddoni carpet, and a Condy. The Condy grabs krill, but my carpet won't. I've been using coral frenzy every day mainly for star polyps. Is this enough food for the haddoni? Thanks for feedback.
WP_20160601_10_31_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20160603_03_55_16_Pro(1).jpg

Last edited:

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed my Haddon's and PLTA pieces of plain bay scallop, raw shrimp and talapia from a feeding stick a couple times a week.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be, I am lucky that I have a clown that feeds the anemone. Very nice setup, I have the same sand:)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, the last video featured my red algae

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just buy a package of silversides and throw one to him, he will love it!

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying coral frenzy is not enough?

Correct.
A healthy, well established, haddoni may grab some small particles, if there are enough of them in one spot, but they're really designed to capture and feed on larger organisms.
There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that feeding silver sides can be dangerous. Multiple hobbyists have reported loosing long established anemones after feeding, what they believe to be, bad silver sides. Personally, I've never had this experience, but I avoid them just in case. I feed mostly shrimp and other fish meat.

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that feeding silver sides can be dangerous. Multiple hobbyists have reported loosing long established anemones after feeding, what they believe to be, bad silver sides. Personally, I've never had this experience, but I avoid them just in case. I feed mostly shrimp and other fish meat.

I do agree with this and the best route is to goto the local supermarket and buy fresh fish but that can be expensive sometimes or a hassle non the less. Devon I would greatly research the company that you decide to get food from first to minimize what Elegance Coral said could happen because he is right

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoided using the silver sides for the same reason. I used to buy small bags of frozen bay scallops and shrimp since it was cheaper, but would buy fresh Talapia. If you do this, just make sure there is no seasonings, etc.

OP
OP
Devon93274

Devon93274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big should the piece of meat be? We talking Dime, penny, Nickel, quarter, or bigger sized?

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut the pieces about 1/4" to 1/2" depending on the size of the animal.

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed my BTA's either and I have 5 too but carpets need to be fed for optimal health

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont need to feed BTAs because in the wild their primary food source is light and excreted waste from the resident clownfish. they are not predatory and have only been documented eating sick or near death fish because their sting is so mild a healthy fish cannot succumb and fall pray to a BTA. Light is enough food for a BTA but not a carpet which is a predatory anemone

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 77.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.0%
Back