Is Ecotech ever going to make a controller?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just an argument of semantics. By that logic, your car also needs a subscription to refuel or else it is a paperweight.

Or your aquarium requires a subscription in salt. Your RODI requires a subscription in resin. Just a silly argument, IMO.

It’s an automated tester based on titration. Of course reagents are used and you have to purchase more.
Yup - well said.
I agree with you, they could be looked at as subscriptions, the only difference being the others stated I get to choose when to renew my subscription and can dictate how it’s used. If I top my car up with one months subscription I could make it last for a year if I want, so I’m not locked into a timeframe and can still use it after a one time purchase.

Trident dictates to you, and you can’t prolong it, just speed it up. If you don’t subscribe to it it’s useless after the subscription time.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad example.

Harold, you don drive you don't pay. With Trident, you cannot make that choice. 4 tests a day or else.

Trident dictates to you, and you can’t prolong it, just speed it up. If you don’t subscribe to it it’s useless after the subscription time.

I suppose that's a pretty fair point, my comparison wasn't great. Though gasoline does goes bad too, albeit in a longer interval of time.

I guess I just don't understand with the basis of the complaint really. It needs a minimum interval to prevent the chemicals from precipitating in the lines; there isn't some masterful scheme against users. Its a limitation of the technology, that users are well aware of before purchasing the trident. Reagents are advertised as "2 month supply", as in they last 2 months. After that, if you don't want to continue testing, you can shutdown the trident until you want to buy additional reagent and resume.

If they changed the minimum interval to be user-controllable, then they would get a million warranty claims and raging forum posts about Tridents clogging due to precipitation, etc. Or not having the accuracy that they advertise.

Would a better comparison be the "subscription" be to buying milk, or something that goes bad once open regardless of the usage? Its not like the dairy farmers are out to scam us; stuff goes bad.

The continued Trident comments are kind of off-topic in this thread, don't know if we should continue this conversation here. But please let me know if you find an automated tested that has zero required consumables.... first company to make one will be VERY popular!

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
But please let me know if you find an automated tested that has zero required consumables.... first company to make one will be VERY popular!

It's called ReefBot. Test once a day or once a month, your choice - using your favorite test kits.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called ReefBot. Test once a day or once a month, your choice - using your favorite test kits.

Highlight I said consumables. Still need to purchase refills.. In addition, the quantities in the vials are enough for like a week if the user wants a daily or multiple times daily test interval, so they don't run into exactly the same issues associated with storing large volumes of reagent.

Don't want to continue this further on this thread about Ecotech controller- feel free to PM me or continue this in a trident related thread.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Highlight I said consumables. Still need to purchase refills.. In addition, the quantities in the vials are enough for like a week if the user wants a daily or multiple times daily test interval, so they don't run into exactly the same issues associated with storing large volumes of reagent.

You missed the point...or just don't want to see it. Enjoy your Trident and I won't be enjoying mine.

U

User1

View Badges

That is incorrect. Still need to buy test kits and resupply of reagents. Test kits go bad. Reagents go bad if left in open air. The only difference is that with the bot you can set a lower number of tests per interval.

Next?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ecotechs biggest focus right now is perfecting mobius in its current state.

Then the possibility open, adding AI to the mix, coming out with a version of a power bar, sensors, allowing other companies to be part of the mobius universe.

I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, nor do I think they should rush it. Getting it right is key.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Directv for my TV viewing. I think we can all agree this is the definition of a "Subscription service".

1) I paid for all my Directv equipment, no leasing and I also paid for my Trident Equipment.

2) I can suspend my Directv Account for several months and pay nothing but I have no TV to watch.
I can stop buying reagent for the Trident for several months but I have no readings.

3) I pay Directv $200+ per month for TV. I Pay Neptune $23 a month for testing.

IMHO I don't think there is any debate. So long as Neptune is the sole maker of the reagents it's a subscription service.

Sorry to once again break from the ETM controller discussion.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The only difference is that with the bot you can set a lower number of tests per interval.

Next?

And that is only what this whole discussion was about. User's choice.

You drive 500 miles, you pay $100. You drive 50 Miles you pay $10. Simple enough for me. Sorry you missed it Saf.

My car doesn't start itself 4 times per day in the garage as to remove stale gasoline from the fuel lines. It only starts when I choose to drive it.

With Trident, planned or not, its a terrible, terrible flaw.

U

User1

View Badges
How many people would buy an inkjet printer that would print (without your control) 4 color pages per day, just to stay ....working?

It would be out of ink before you'd need to actually print something; nevermind the paper.

Oddly enough I worked for HP....there are expiration dates on cartridges. I won't go into the lawsuit, shelf live, properly stored, etc. Epson, Cannon, others - cartridges have expiration dates. Never the less it is a rather interesting question. You print on demand. So to your question, no one.

However, the difference is that the reagent the Trident uses is such that it has a much shorter lifespan I'm guessing. I'm not Neptune. If there is a known lifespan that guarantees the result and reaction of the reagent why should I challenge it? They set it to a minimum based on their assessment and who am I to say it is wrong.

Does this mean they are not looking at the reagents, use, hobbyists tests per say, week, etc? I'd wager they are. I would. Why? Because it sounds like some people want to test less and it would make sense to see if that is possible.

But again we are arguing semantics and disagree. By no means am I forcing a trident on you.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, who are we to dictate to NS their prerogative.

Now, what do you think the power bars will look like?

9tDIx7ol.jpg

Sw3Cmfyl.jpg

This is Pavel Shabin's vision.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading forums about Reefbot. It doesnt look like it is a great deal. It seems like Apex is the only controller with all the things. Ghl has the Ion director and kh, but I there are a lot of people saying that the controller is crap. Ghl is also REALLY expensive when you have to buy all the add ons to make the main unit work.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

9tDIx7ol.jpg

Sw3Cmfyl.jpg

It doesnt matter, as long as it has LED RGB, it will fly off the shelf, haha.

Hopefully it will be sleek and white.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

9tDIx7ol.jpg

Sw3Cmfyl.jpg

I think Pavel missed it by a mile! He is thinking along the lines that people are going to pay a per plug fee. Most power Bars are 8 plugs and around $250. That would work out to $31 per plug which is not feasible in a per plug package considering the WiFi/Bluetooth and all the other thing they would need to put in each one. To save money whatever they come out with will have a single control board / Power Supply and communication board and most likely be 8 plugs in one box. I suspect they will integrate Ports into it for sensors. I have noticed that ETM has zero interest in supporting other platforms so I suspect it will have no 48Vdc ports or PWM ports since ETM does not make any products that use that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading forums about Reefbot. It doesnt look like it is a great deal. It seems like Apex is the only controller with all the things. Ghl has the Ion director and kh, but I there are a lot of people saying that the controller is crap. Ghl is also REALLY expensive when you have to buy all the add ons to make the main unit work.
I don't know if you just miss worded that or what but I have never heard anyone say that the GHL controller is crap. I have only heard that the Interface is not very intuitive and the whole package is expensive. If the Ion Director came out it would mean that GHL had a lot more things than Neptune.
Even without the Ion Director the GHL has items like an SMS Module, Humidity sensors and their own lighting systems, plus better dosing pumps than Neptune. Neptune has the Calcium and Mg reading and pumps over the GHL but as I said with the Ion Director, GHL would have those and a few other water tests.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I don't know if you just miss worded that or what but I have never heard anyone say that the GHL controller is crap. I have only heard that the Interface is not very intuitive and the whole package is expensive. If the Ion Director came out it would mean that GHL had a lot more things than Neptune.
Even without the Ion Director the GHL has items like an SMS Module, Humidity sensors and their own lighting systems, plus better dosing pumps than Neptune. Neptune has the Calcium and Mg reading over the GHL but as I said with the Ion Director GHL would have that and a few other water tests.

Not sure why you say better dosing pumps. That is pretty subjective all things considered.

As far as the controller app is crap - i'll pass :D

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you say better dosing pumps. That is pretty subjective all things considered.

As far as the controller app is crap - i'll pass :D
So you think the DOS is in the same league as the GHL 2.1 doser?

As for the App. I think to many people put to much importance in this fancy GUI stuff.
On a scale of 1 to 10 of controller importance I would give ease of use during setup and a Fancy looking GUI a "Five". I give reliability a solid "Ten".
At the end of the day a fancy GUI is not going to save your tank when your away from home but reliability will.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back