!!!!!! Is failure not an option but inevitable??????

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed lately that a lot of folks have been struggling with lots of different issues. So the question in my mind comes up is it inevitable? Can we really have disease free fish? Coral that doesn't STN or RTN? No equipment failures??

After Reefing for many years I think I've got an answer and it's probably not what you want to hear. You will have failures! :confused: You will have setbacks. This is the nature of the beast. Trying to recreate the ocean in a glass box isn't the easiest thing to do. Agree or disagree we can work to limit these setbacks and failures, but nothing is full proof.
The industry has come so far in the last couple of years. Equipment has gotten much better and much more reliable. So let's talk about what can be done. How do you limit these uncontrollable forces?? o_O Share some of your best practices, and maybe share some of those oops moments. Reef keeping is all about helping one another and getting back up after you've had a failure. Let others learn from your experience. :cool:
I'd also like to hear what you think can be improved upon in Reef keeping. Maybe it's a piece of equipment?? Maybe is a product?? The Industry is really about us. What we want, what we need. So let's brainstorm and help out all the leaders out there and talk about what we want to see in the future.:D

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most failures come from inexperience. And being this hobby is so complex, there's no easy way of remedying that. It just takes time, patience and a proper mindset.

If you ask me, all this new equipment and multitude of products just complicates things even further. If you're a noob, best to learn "old school" and then dabble with the toys once you have a firm understanding of the basics. ;)

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most failures come from inexperience. And being this hobby is so complex, there's no easy way of remedying that. It just takes time, patience and a proper mindset.

If you ask me, all this new equipment and multitude of products just complicates things even further. If you're a noob, best to learn "old school" and then dabble with the toys once you have a firm understanding of the basics. ;)

I agree with a lot of this. Especially the part about learning "old school" big thumbs up on that one! [emoji16]

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP, there is too much to go wrong and even some of the best tanks out there have crashed.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched some amazing sps tank video on YouTube that's several years old only the read recent comments that the tank was shut down due to money issues, moving, equipment failure, tank failure or disease/pest.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a lot of this. Especially the part about learning "old school" big thumbs up on that one! [emoji16]

It's like STOP looking at your phone and Apex controller, and START looking at what's going on inside of your tank. :p Attention to detail...

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like STOP looking at your phone and Apex controller, and START looking at what's going on inside of your tank. :p

Wow! Hit the nail on the head with this one!!

I always try to explain to folks that it's 90% visual and 10% testing. This does take time to learn. I can walk past any of my tanks and tell when something is a little off. Obervation is very very important!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP, there is too much to go wrong and even some of the best tanks out there have crashed.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched some amazing sps tank video on YouTube that's several years old only the read recent comments that the tank was shut down due to money issues, moving, equipment failure, tank failure or disease/pest.

Do you think we can ever get to a point that you won't crash?? I've also seen many great systems fall. Usually due to equipment failure, power outages etc... it can be frustrating to say the least!

Have you had a failure??

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you one of my pet peeves! Heaters!!! I'm still crying out for heaters to be more reliable! Now mind you I've got my backups upon backups! I so look forward to the day that someone makes a heater that's just rock solid and will always fail off!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the old school method of reefing and use the old school approach to reefing more and more. Sure it fun to try new things, but some of the new stuff, is stuff that I was doing 15 years and that I forgot about, but with a new wrapper. Opps moment, making to many changes without making notes to back track when things go wrong. One of the best thing I have found is documenting steps in one place. To keep my journal I am finding that using my thread is probably the best place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the old school method of reefing and use the old school approach to reefing more and more. Sure it fun to try new things, but some of the new stuff, is stuff that I was doing 15 years and that I forgot about but with a new wrapper. Opps moment, making to many changes without making notes to back track when things go wrong. One of the best thing I have found is documenting steps in one place. To keep my journal I am finding that using my thread is probably the best place.

Agree using your build thread to keep track of things and additions etc is a great idea! Everyone should keep a journal!

I'll tell you another one..... try as much as possible to keep your hands out of the tank! Lol [emoji23]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree using your build thread to keep track of things and additions etc is a great idea! Everyone should keep a journal!

I'll tell you another one..... try as much as possible to keep your hands out of the tank! Lol [emoji23]
I never understood that one? Yes contamination, but really? :)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately all systems will end. Whether you consider it a failure or not is in the proverbial "eye of the beholder".

That being said, some folks are more successful than others. Equipment failure is always a bummer, and in todays world of "quality" is an inevitablility in some form or another (It always sucks).

There's a whole lot of things that can go wrong all the time, and a very small window of where it all goes right. It's kind of an amazing thing that we are doing here.

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me success starts with a mentor (sensei), someone who has a tank you like, who has failed, who has conquered road blocks, someone who is patient, willing to teach, and answer questions. There aren't many out there. By far I'm no expert on fish and corals, but I try to contribute on what I know well.
My boss (wife) did tell me after RBs, black AEFW, the truth that my tank will "Fail" someday.
I have embraced that and accepted it; however, after having a mentor I'm at peace and now enjoy my hobby now 100x more than ever in the past 10 years. My friendships I build far surpass failure. I think the biggest failure is not planning and not having answers to simple questions i.e. How will I prevent a flood, power failure, ATO failure, vacation, pests, diseases, do I need this equipment, etc. Once the tank is setup it's much harder to make changes.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty. The LFS just don't care. I know of 1/30 LFS that I have been to from ME to OH that cares. What I mean by "cares" is they see their product of fish, corals, and inverts to sell. They have the balls to tell their whole sale company to take a hike and start fresh with someone else that is good for his customers. Then these people collecting our new family pets and hard earned money will show more care towards their gathering. Causing less stress, proper collecting, proper decompression, corals not sitting in a canoe for 6 hours in the blazing sun drying out on top of each other stinging each other, not using a needle for deflating a fish's swim blatter, or a chemical to paralyze the fish while collecting. Look at the big name companies like Petco. They sell cheap products and by people who have no clue how to care for fish. We struggle still with years of experience with 6-20 fish. These are people that are clueless of each species and they are asked to care for hundreds! This is where the problem really is. So it will always be this way. Once these tank are infested/infected. They do not take the time to make sure the issue is resolved. Like wait 73 days to rid the system. They can't. Then they are not making a profit. They throw the fish away and discard life and throw new healthy ones in and hopefully they can get the fish out the door before it settles back in.
Then there is the other issue. Tech junkies. Making it so the newest product will always be deemed as an expensive product.
Nano tanks will never be accommodated to or middle of the road products, because they can not make "big money" off of customers to stay a float as a company. It is either they put out a cheap one that is cheaply made so they have more turnover or they put out one that in way to expensive. No one in their right mind is going to spend $1,300 on lights for a 20g tank. They will spend $120 and go spend $40 on new bulbs.
Same goes for salt. It is salt! Why does there have to be a more expensive one?!? With less salt by like 25lbs.
Heck I would love to get a GFO or carbon reactor. I won't because people jumped on the high retail value of it and now it does not need to go down in cost. Supply and demand. Now my tank has to take the hit for it.
These are all the things from experience that I see lead to tank crashes. The misinformed tank mate's compatibilities and recommended tank size.

donny619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree here because I worry about my heater every day. So much that I think about rotating one out every few months or so just as a preventive measure. Even the "best" ones aren't that expensive. I've spent more on "stupid" things... LOL

The posts regarding heaters breaking down or exploding scare me most.

I tell you one of my pet peeves! Heaters!!! I'm still crying out for heaters to be more reliable! Now mind you I've got my backups upon backups! I so look forward to the day that someone makes a heater that's just rock solid and will always fail off!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think we can ever get to a point that you won't crash?? I've also seen many great systems fall. Usually due to equipment failure, power outages etc... it can be frustrating to say the least!

Have you had a failure??

I think so, like that post about looking at your tank and putting the APEX away...I think we depend on equipment WAY TOO MUCH. I used to run so much crap in my tanks, soooo much hardware soooo many moving parts. My full blown zeovit system and all those doser bottles and auto dosing. I would have an amazing SPS tank for 4 months and the SECOND I seems to try to get on "auto" mode something really bad would happen and the params were so specific any little change was drastic.

Fast forward a few years, I ditched that ULNS stuff and feed alot. I have a protein skimmer, flow, lights and a calc reactor with GFO. That's IT! I STILL had a crash due to my ignorance and over confidence that I eliminated a bulk of my planaria flatworms and doses FWE. Needless to say, going as natural as possible is the key to success. Before that though I was batting about 90% of survival and outstanding growth with over 90+ SPS frags.

I employ a keep it simple approach and am amazed at how well things are rebounding. I treat my chemical dosing now like I treat my personal macro nutrient diet. If there are ingredients that I can't understand or feel are processed junk I wont put it in my tank. Just like with building lots of muscle if you want to build coral just frikken eat (as in feed the fish! :) )!

Fat fish fat coral

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's kind of cool to see so many different views on this subject and they all have merit.

The types of things that frustrate all of us differ from person to person due to where we are in our walk and what we've been through.

I can tell you I've failed more times than I can count. Early on they were self induced bone head moves lol. As I progressed I've had challenges. Most not due to my own fault but just learning experiences I.E. power outages, and equipment failures.

I find myself much more prepared now than I once was and I believe we all need to take these things into account earlier in our Reefing setup.

This is not to say I don't still have challenges.

Dealing with fish diseases

Pushing the limits of UNLS

Pushing or " punishing " new products. Lol

I now find myself experimenting a lot more and all of that comes with risk also.

Keep em coming this is all great feedback and you may just help someone else that's lurking [emoji102] and may not want to step out . [emoji4]

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: I am in no way saying ULNS is not effective. My personal opinion is that it isn't as easy as throwing chems in the tank and feeding whenever you want. I feel it's for extremely seasoned and advanced aquarists only though. I think there are alot of novice folks out there that read you need low nutrients and think it's a magic bullet when in fact it requires more attention to detail than ever before. If you can't glance at your tank as you walk by and instantly have a good idea of what's wrong when something IS wrong then you have no business running ULNS! Just my opinion!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 the natural way.
I am lucky to have two people in my life that cared and broke things down to common sense.
1) You don't take care of fish. You take care of water.
2) Ever heard of an LED tanning bed. T5 is the best way to replicate the Sun.
So that covered everything in a nutshell for the health of fish and coral survival.
The only thing I can't stand is GHA!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back