!!!!!! Is failure not an option but inevitable??????

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new but I can put up a list of things that I have learned/used to help stave off a failure (for now).

1. Patience- don't rush into a build, purchase, treatment or rescue.
2. Do what your tank wants, not what you want- don't buy the fish/coral/anemone you want, buy the fish that works for your tank.
3. Set aside the time- don't do anything if it's rushed. Pick a date/time to tinker or set up equipment, dose, monitor, acclimate and so on. These things all require time and if you're not invested, it will show.
4. Chemistry- know what chemistry your water is at all times. If you dose manually , start small, record the effect, make adjustments, test often.
5. Don't dabble in equipment that you are not ready for- don't know how to plumb an ATO? Then maybe you shouldn't. Not saying you can't have an ATO but maybe something more simple. I use a gravity fed ATO. More work but less risk.
6. Pay close attention- if you don't have a good memory keep a journal. It will help you figure out what is happening by identifying actions that lead you there. Example; coral bleaching- did you touch the light setting, dose, add livestock? Being aware and keeping track go hand in hand.
7. Quarantine(debatable)- I prefer it but it is optional.
8.Alert system- $200 piece of mind (again, optional but I prefer one)
9. Listen- take the information with a grain of salt but most experienced reefers know how to avoid mistakes. Plus, a fellow reefer will honestly tell you a blue hippo tang is too small for you 60 gallon because he has no investment in seeing you buy the fish. Others may claim it's possible but results are anecdotal and sometimes lucky, stick with the honest answers.

Anyone else can add to this or deduct but I feel it is a good start to keeping a long lasting system.

A generator is handy too, just make sure it starts when you need it.

10. Study chemistry (as per reefers needs...) so you can really understand what's happening and recognize misleading information. Ask/challenge Randy Holmes-Farley directly when you have a doubt. Even if you think it's a "dumb" question.

11. Never, but NEVER make changes or connect/disconnect anything before leaving home (even if it's just for dinner)

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed lately that a lot of folks have been struggling with lots of different issues. So the question in my mind comes up is it inevitable? Can we really have disease free fish? Coral that doesn't STN or RTN? No equipment failures??

After Reefing for many years I think I've got an answer and it's probably not what you want to hear. You will have failures! :confused: You will have setbacks. This is the nature of the beast. Trying to recreate the ocean in a glass box isn't the easiest thing to do. Agree or disagree we can work to limit these setbacks and failures, but nothing is full proof.
The industry has come so far in the last couple of years. Equipment has gotten much better and much more reliable. So let's talk about what can be done. How do you limit these uncontrollable forces?? o_O Share some of your best practices, and maybe share some of those oops moments. Reef keeping is all about helping one another and getting back up after you've had a failure. Let others learn from your experience. :cool:
I'd also like to hear what you think can be improved upon in Reef keeping. Maybe it's a piece of equipment?? Maybe is a product?? The Industry is really about us. What we want, what we need. So let's brainstorm and help out all the leaders out there and talk about what we want to see in the future.:D
the second law of thermodynamics would say yes. (For the experts, I know this does not immediately apply to a reef tank).

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know now if you're right because a reef system isn't isolated and never reaches equilibrium. But a quick look at the title question and I agree that that the answer it's yes!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some really great suggestions ! I truly believe you all are definitely getting the point of this post. To make you think.

What do I need, how do I do it, how can I prepare.

As we move into the summer months a lot of folks will spend less time with their reefs. That means it's all the more important to pay special attention to them. Don't get lackadaisical when it comes to husbandry. With summer comes warmer temperatures, more evaporation, and more storms!

Some things that pertain to this specially are tank temperatures, evaporation " watch your salinity "
, being prepared for a long power outage!

Keep up with those water changes!

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you one of my pet peeves! Heaters!!! I'm still crying out for heaters to be more reliable! Now mind you I've got my backups upon backups! I so look forward to the day that someone makes a heater that's just rock solid and will always fail off!

This!!!

Alk control is cool and all, but someone give me a heater that fails off by default and take my freaking money!

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that inexperience is the cause of 80%+ failures, and it takes a long time to gain true knowledge and experience in this hobby. I think how much money you have to invest in your equipment can also have something to do with this. You'll be much less likely to have problems if your able to buy battery backups for all of your pumps and equipment for instance.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many gizmos spoil the tank. I know some will say the likes of tank computers reduce the likely of any issues arising or that you can react in time to put right or even save a tank but for me they are just more things to go wrong and o worry about. There is no substitute for experience and no better test kit than your eyes. Now I am not completely against modern equipment but I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I have an ATS, a calcium reactor, a skimmer, Siporax and a single reactor. I consider that a half way house between minimalistic and Hi Tech. I am comfortable with what I have. know it inside out and can go 8 hours in a power cut before panicking. Too much tech IMO can be a bad thing and will never replace experience because when or if it does a lot will be lost from the enjoyment of the hobby. I know there are people who will disagree with much of my ways and will defend their computers and controllers however often less is more IMO.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many gizmos spoil the tank. I know some will say the likes of tank computers reduce the likely of any issues arising or that you can react in time to put right or even save a tank but for me they are just more things to go wrong and o worry about. There is no substitute for experience and no better test kit than your eyes. Now I am not completely against modern equipment but I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I have an ATS, a calcium reactor, a skimmer, Siporax and a single reactor. I consider that a half way house between minimalistic and Hi Tech. I am comfortable with what I have. know it inside out and can go 8 hours in a power cut before panicking. Too much tech IMO can be a bad thing and will never replace experience because when or if it does a lot will be lost from the enjoyment of the hobby. I know there are people who will disagree with much of my ways and will defend their computers and controllers however often less is more IMO.

I agree with gizmos being an issue to some level. For a beginning Aquarist I suggest to keep it simple and begin with the basics. This gives you a chance to learn your tank and see how it reacts to changes.

I myself have lots of gizmos but I've been doing this for many many years. I'll tell you when something questionable is going on with one of my systems the first thing I look at is the tank , not a screen!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the flashy light thingings though.:D

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I know there is A lot of pressure from the industry to have the latest and greatest gadgets. It's easy to get wrapped up in all of it, trying to make things easier and justifying your purchase. Everyone likes shiny stuff! Lol

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
318b6d9b66d9a7b8f889297bf335bf75.png

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we are now into August I thought I'd revitalize this thread and see what pops up now that we are into the summer months.

Does anyone have a story to share that maybe you learned from this post??

Or maybe..... hopefully not.... you should have learned from this post?? Lol [emoji23]

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running an A/C apposed to a chiller? What are the cost differences between the two vs. the benefits/dangers. Who's tank hit 80+?

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I know there is A lot of pressure from the industry to have the latest and greatest gadgets. It's easy to get wrapped up in all of it, trying to make things easier and justifying your purchase. Everyone likes shiny stuff! Lol

I have seen setups that are completely automated, ato, fans, lights, skimmer, heater, and more. It all just seems dangerous to me. I like notifications but I don't like the idea of having my tank plumbed to R/O and my valves to it controlled by a cpu. I like a 2.5 gravity fed ato, that won't really affect my tank if it lets go. I also like dosing my own calc. It can be a pain but it brings me to my tank and keeps me engaged which helps me spot potential problems before they arise.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running an A/C apposed to a chiller? What are the cost differences between the two vs. the benefits/dangers. Who's tank hit 80+?
Just installed an$40 cooling fan that runs along the back of my tank. I was getting temps up to 82. Degrees with no heater on. Now my apex controll's my fan and heater and my temp bounces from 78.1 and 78.5 every day no cooler no hotter

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%

Back