Is Gen X the last great reefing generation

saltytanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.

Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset. Or the long winded “pc” responses, that offer zero help but lots of I’m sorry’s, cos too scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

Guess it’s just society in general theses days!

But are we GenX’rs really the last??

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.

Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset. Or the long winded “pc” responses, that offer zero help but lots of I’m sorry’s, cos too scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

lol tell us how you really feel…/s

LosGatosMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 15 year old being so into fish and corals was the reason I ended up getting into the hobby. I’m a 100% positive that when he gets out of college he will start up his own reef tank

JoeyBagadonuts

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hobby will continue the same as it always has. We have two kids with a good number of years between them. Both enjoy helping out with the tank, going to public aquariums, coming with me to coral/fish stores, etc. There may be ebb and flow, pun intended, in reef keeping but I think it will always be around. With access to information that our community provides and today’s tech, it’s easier to get started on the right track and be successful long term. IF you want to learn/listen and apply that knowledge.

I haven’t run across what you are describing on this site. We all have our days. Maybe a snippy comment here or there over the years. Nothing like some of the old sites like RC. But any site or platform has potential for trolls these days.

If you really want to see some good commentary, grab some popcorn and go read some flat earth discussions on FB. No concern for PC answers and personal feelings there.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Should probably report them to FWC then lol in their face about it without understanding literally anything about the situation. Seems to work well.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take on OPs point was that the majority of threads are void of trying to understand the topic in which they're asking about. Rather they just want a person or a video to tell them what to do.

There is a lot of knowledge lost that way. When I read through a lot of threads, I get the impression that it's a lot of the blind leading the blind. But it's not really that, it's people regurgitating what they've read, but can't explain any further when asked.

I guess this can be explained by influential up bringing based on the world you're exposed to during your formative years.

Interesting topic, none thw less.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9/10. Nailed the Old Man Yelling at Clouds vibe.

600x600bf-60.jpg

only deduction is that it's a bit too earnest and some will think you are serious, which would be unfortunate.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take on OPs point was that the majority of threads are void of trying to understand the topic in which they're asking about. Rather they just want a person or a video to tell them what to do.

There is a lot of knowledge lost that way. When I read through a lot of threads, I get the impression that it's a lot of the blind leading the blind. But it's not really that, it's people regurgitating what they've read, but can't explain any further when asked.

I guess this can be explained by influential up bringing based on the world you're exposed to during your formative years.

Interesting topic, none thw less.
Interesting, my millennial counterpoint :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: often when I read here I feel there's some oldies who are stuck in their ways. No matter what the problem is, the answer is live-rock or t5's or both. Or they don't read the post in full and then ask a bunch of questions that were already addressed in the initial post

Millennial: help me solve this dino problem please. Here are <all parameters for past month>

Gen X: Looks like dinos. Can you post your parameters please?

Millennial: :zany-face:

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey @saltytanked, what you described in the first three paragraphs could be applied to the staff meeting I ZOOMED into for 2 hours this morning. The laziness of the typical participant in life these days has been told to use AI and the "Information Highway" to quickly find the truth on any subject. What they have not noticed is that the truth on many sites is edited almost daily, or if they do notice they feel lucky that whatever they read today here was a good answer.

My answer will not be read by many folks because it is already too long, which means many folks will only skim it or simply pass to the next post where someone who can summarize information better will provide a simpler answer that makes the reader feel good about themselves, which is obviously the correct answer they were looking for, even if the information is completely wrong and a total lie.

Only Jesus knows when the last reefer will emanate in this planets unfolding population. I suspect that the hobby will be outlawed and become a thing that only criminals and rich people will carry on in secret based upon the posts I read on here and the environmentalist and young people I encounter at work who value "saving the planet" a lot more than I do.

I am a skeptic when it comes to altruism and the human civilizations expansion and the history of modifications of the planet by humans. So many things look great when they first come out but after a few years (or a few centuries) the corruption or damage caused by our activities are eventually recognized and civilization pivots to fix that problem, creating something new to plague the planet. All the while the population keeps expanding until by design or by chance the house of cards collapses and all this time the reefs on the planet will keep doing what they do, with or without our coral collecting or reef tank hobby.

Actually, it's probably not all that bad, and it may never be as far as the hobby goes. I don't care. I got a new clam coming soon and I will do my best to take care of it until I get recycled at Forrest Lawn. After that I won't be able to go the LFS anymore and they probably won't miss me there either.
Wes Anderson Movie GIF by The Good Films

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @saltytanked, what you described in the first three paragraphs could be applied to the staff meeting I ZOOMED into for 2 hours this morning. The laziness of the typical participant in life these days has been told to use AI and the "Information Highway" to quickly find the truth on any subject. What they have not noticed is that the truth on many sites is edited almost daily, or if they do notice they feel lucky that whatever they read today here was a good answer.

My answer will not be read by many folks because it is already too long, which means many folks will only skim it or simply pass to the next post where someone who can summarize information better will provide a simpler answer that makes the reader feel good about themselves, which is obviously the correct answer they were looking for, even if the information is completely wrong and a total lie.

Only Jesus knows when the last reefer will emanate in this planets unfolding population. I suspect that the hobby will be outlawed and become a thing that only criminals and rich people will carry on in secret based upon the posts I read on here and the environmentalist and young people I encounter at work who value "saving the planet" a lot more than I do.

I am a skeptic when it comes to altruism and the human civilizations expansion and the history of modifications of the planet by humans. So many things look great when they first come out but after a few years (or a few centuries) the corruption or damage caused by our activities are eventually recognized and civilization pivots to fix that problem, creating something new to plague the planet. All the while the population keeps expanding until by design or by chance the house of cards collapses and all this time the reefs on the planet will keep doing what they do, with or without our coral collecting or reef tank hobby.

Actually, it's probably not all that bad, and it may never be as far as the hobby goes. I don't care. I got a new clam coming soon and I will do my best to take care of it until I get recycled at Forrest Lawn. After that I won't be able to go the LFS anymore and they probably won't miss me there either.
I see what you did there. You deliberately wrote a book so that Gen Z can surmise that it was about alcohol and cigarettes.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t have time to read that.

Here is the response AI wrote for me.

Here's a possible response.

Hi, your reflection on the virtual staff meeting echoes many of the frustrations commonly experienced in today's fast-paced digital culture. The reliance on quickly sourced information, as you've noted, often leads to a surface-level engagement with complex topics, and the truth can indeed become a casualty in this rush.

It's interesting to consider your points on the eventual recognition of the negative impacts of human activities on our planet and how societies attempt to rectify these. Your skepticism towards altruism and the continuous expansion of human civilization invites a deeper discussion on sustainable practices and long-term ecological impacts.

Regarding your upcoming addition of a new clam, it sounds like a meaningful hobby that brings you joy. I hope it thrives under your care. It’s a reminder of the small yet personal ways we interact with and impact our environment.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you did there. You deliberately wrote a book so that Gen Z can surmise that it was about alcohol and cigarettes.
And movie stars and simple plots that always end well for the good people in the script. A+

My wife got me to quit smoking again last week, or was that this week? :cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, your reflection on the virtual staff meeting echoes many of the frustrations commonly experienced in today's fast-paced digital culture. The reliance on quickly sourced information, as you've noted, often leads to a surface-level engagement with complex topics, and the truth can indeed become a casualty in this rush.

It's interesting to consider your points on the eventual recognition of the negative impacts of human activities on our planet and how societies attempt to rectify these. Your skepticism towards altruism and the continuous expansion of human civilization invites a deeper discussion on sustainable practices and long-term ecological impacts.

Regarding your upcoming addition of a new clam, it sounds like a meaningful hobby that brings you joy. I hope it thrives under your care. It’s a reminder of the small yet personal ways we interact with and impact our environment.
That's scary, and it echo's the generational tone that is popular amongst the cool kids right now. I am glad my clam is on the way now more than ever. The end is near.
robot GIF

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Although it's coherent, it kinda reads like a bunch of random words thrown together. Haha

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to see some good commentary, grab some popcorn and go read some flat earth discussions on FB. No concern for PC answers and personal feelings there.
Ohhhh......Now THAT is a fun time. I used to LOVE messing with the Flat-Earthers. I still go there from time to time and marvel at the stupidity!

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We Gen X are not the last, but we are the last generation to do a lot of things, things which make the world a much worse place to live in. Like not being able to laugh at yourselves, or being tough enough to scab your knee without needing medical attention. The Last Generation that can and will tell you to go **** yourself and not lose any sleep over it. The FERAL generation that was ran out of the house at sun up and wasn't allowed back inside till supper time. The Generation with THICK SKIN!! The Garden Hose and pick up bed generation. The Generation that laughs at Both the boomers and millenials. And just shakes our heads at the stupidity of gen Z. The Generation that does not get offended if you fart on the public bus and is not outraged with blue hair over some imagined insult to a gender that does not exist!!

When we are gone, the world will be greatly diminished.
my 2 cents, pretty sure over half of you young' uns hate me right now. It's all good!

Back