Is Going from 0 to 20 Corals too Much?

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sites that run those "crazy" discounts always give me a bad feeling. Not saying they are necessiarily, but there are a lot more reputable sites or even local places that will do you a lot better. My advice is only get stuff you really like because inevitably your least favorite thing is going to be the one that does the best.

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally steer clear of those sites that have deals too good to be true. Find a good lfs store in your area, a local reef club, or one of the highly rated coral vendors like wwc. A couple of good pieces will go a longer way than a bunch of meh stuff, and inevitably that frag you hate but it was really cheap will be the one that does the best.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, I am concerned how this might dramatically increase my bioload. Any tips?

You are right to be concerned about making big changes to your system. Don't make the mistake of trying to ignore that feeling.

I would stay on the go-slow track and get one or two corals from your local shop and enjoy them for a few months before adding anymore.

Maybe add a fish in between this batch of corals and the next couple you add. Then wait one/a few more months and add another fish.

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to give an update. I bought some corals at my lfs and now have a zoa, branching torch, gsp and green montipora. I also picked up a cardinal fish and black clownfish. Everything is doing well except the monti that has this black spot where some algae grew. I am going to make a separate post tomorrow about the monti in case this thread is dead. I will also be including some other questions I have in that post but if enough people answer here maybe I can answer some stuff tonight.

20180403_232730.jpg

20180403_232635.jpg

20180322_141956.jpg

20180322_142002.jpg

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the decision to wait until Sunday when I am off and go to some lfs stores. If I can't find the 2 clowns, snails, crab, torch and GSP I want at a reasonable price I will order from saltwaterfish.com. However, I will get a 5 frag pack and use the other coupon I have for a cleaner shrimp and let the $50 off one go. The 20 frag pack was a great deal but it's not worth the risk of crashing tank and all the work I have put in or loosing 75% of my space for corals.
I also am starting a tank. I keep seeing these 'deals' everywhere and think, man I don't want to miss out. As I set up equipment, make changes, and test things I cannot help but notice there is always a new deal. I would get established, and then, if you are willing to wait even a couple weeks there will likely be another great deal you cannot miss out on. I think it is not really a deal if I am not sure it is what I want or I am not ready for it.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you said, There is always a new deal. So don't go chasing the deals. Concentrate on educating yourself so you feel ready for the next step. You don't need a majority of the "stuff" they are selling to have a successful reef tank.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back