Is Going from 0 to 20 Corals too Much?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 14 months in on my first saltwater tank. My success rate on the first 5-6 corals was prob about 50%. I had a learn to learn in just general saltwater tanks but the coral learning curve was pretty steep, even with info I got here lurking around. I would not put 20 corals in a new tank unless you are already experienced with keeping corals. If you have learning to do you are not gonna want to watch 20 Frags melt away. Between water parameters and keeping them stable and figuring out lighting there is just a lot.

Have you gone through the new rank uglies yet like cyano, dinos, gha, diatoms, etc? It’s not said enough but these algae/bacteria outbreaks are part of a new tank finishing its cycle and settling in.

150 for 20 Frags is a good deal and I can see how that is hard to resist. That is another point. In the bdgining it’s jyst cool to get corals in the tank and growing. Down the road most people regret some of their first choices because they may limit you down the road on stuff you really want and in worse cases they take over your tank( examples Xenia, gsp, certain mushrooms)

My best advice besides taking your time is to have a plan.

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do order I will ask for no xenia as I don't want to deal with that. However I do have a 2" x 3" island that I plan to place the GSP. Chalice and brain corals won't grow and take over everything right?

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use to set up large reef tanks all in one day including the stock. As far as bio load it would kind of depend on your export methods. I assume your skimming? Chaeto in refugium?

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer but I haven't started it yet because I added some more nitrifying bacteria when I put in the CBS and was going to add more with the corals. It will be up four days after I add the corals though. Unfortunately there is no sump or refugium, space and tempered glass prevented the latter and I am undecided on a hang on refugium.

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrite are at zero but I am fighting my nitrate level. Even at 25ppm I have not seen much algae growth and I am hoping to lower it with my wc today. I will also do frequent 10% wc every couple days leading up to and after the coral addition. Still on the fence about the frag pack.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get your skimmer running before livestock. an HOB would be a good idea down to road. If it is good quality live rock I would not worry to much about it having enough bacterium, But if it is dead rock the go slower on adding livestock like others have suggested. I assume you have tested and the nitrites have dropped to zero. It's good your using RO/DI sounds like your off to a good start.

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting in to corals is a very slow process. Learning about corals can take quite a bit of time. It is always best to go slow. Having kept corals since the late 70's I learned to slow down and work with just a couple at a time
I don't like to lose corals but I still do. It takes corals sometimes several months to settle down. I mainly deal with SPS now days they can take months to get their colors back and get happy again. Slow is best unless you want to have a real big learning curve right off the bat. Huston has a bunch of good reef shops get involved with the local club and you will be able to get corals from right in your area from other hobbyist who can come to your house I show you the ropes.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about this bulk method is that you might get a number of corals you end up not being happy with. Especially with something that a seller might consider a starter pack.

I've found (six months in) part of the joy of reefing is searching out and adding that special piece one or two at a time.

It looks like a decent selection of corals honestly, but you're not picking colors, size, tank placement, etc... This way.

This all aside from the maturity of the tank that others have brought up.

Either way you go, welcome to the addiction!

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My live rock came from a local hobbyist who was getting out of the hobby. He already sold all his livestock but the rocks came right out of a tank that had been running for five years and went right into mine. I think that is why my cycle was so short. My nirites are at zero and are tested every 5 days or so. Sometimes more frequently for fun. Defiantly a lot of info to consider here.

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to a Reef expo on the 24th so I am definitely going to try and meet people there. I need to look into finding a group, I am sure Houston has some but it's not something advertised.

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I tested ammonia and nitrite it was zero and I was so sure I had messed up the tests I did both three more times. I was fully prepared to wait 6 weeks while the shrimp slowly decayed. I even added a second shrimp to test if it was a fluke.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle was just from die off just from moving the rock. That’s the way I get my rock also, guys getting out. I would guess that twenty small frags probably has the bio load of one fish. Established rock is like have a instant mature reef as long as the rock was carefully moved. Good advice to choose you corals carefully, you’ll run out of room fast.

OP
OP
D

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the decision to wait until Sunday when I am off and go to some lfs stores. If I can't find the 2 clowns, snails, crab, torch and GSP I want at a reasonable price I will order from saltwaterfish.com. However, I will get a 5 frag pack and use the other coupon I have for a cleaner shrimp and let the $50 off one go. The 20 frag pack was a great deal but it's not worth the risk of crashing tank and all the work I have put in or loosing 75% of my space for corals.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that site runs similar specials to that fairly often. I know I was tempted a few times but never pulled the trigger.

If you watch the sell forum you can get really nice quality packs for very good prices. 9 out 10 times it can be found here cheaper. Of course if you join a club or meet some local reefers with established tanks you can likely get even better deals from those guys.

Even the better stuff I got at a lfs almost always got sold/traded to them by a local reefer. My lfs usually get some pretty bland stuff in their bigger orders.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you afraid of? You have it cycled, I assume the salinity is dialed in. Stock the Tank! You need life in the tank to start using the nutrients your rocks are leaching. The Mail Order shops likeWWC, Tital gardens, AcanLords are the only shops I would Ever use. Most LFS are not at the same level.
I can vouch for @WWC i ordered my first two and one only batches from them. They do not disappoint

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Size of coral matters as does your parameters. I'd imagine these are all small pieces for the money and will have an impact on your bio load but not drastic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back