Is Hawaii Close For Good?

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been checking out the prices of ppl selling tangs on these forums. Prices are alil crazy. So my question is, is Hawaii closed for good? Ask for a friend

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note. If Hawaii opens and yellow tangs drop in price to historical levels then will captive born still be $500? If the latter does drop down to meet wild caught than goes to show captive never was worth $500 and just business taking advantage of market dynamics.

If the future is about captive then captive needs to be cheap enough to give consumers incentives to switch. Not take advantage of them.

If price of captive can’t come down to meet wild caught than how will it survive? Hard to believe the general public will pay 5x plus just to sustain a practice. That hasn’t been the past on anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1645102143965.png

Where my tang at.
For the children of course...

Upvote 0

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price of captive can’t come down to meet wild caught than how will it survive? Hard to believe the general public will pay 5x plus just to sustain a practice. That hasn’t been the past on anything.
Seems more likely that if Hawaii reopens their prices will go up…. Now that they know ‘what the market will bear’.

If wild caught is restricted or outright banned, then captive bred will probably go up even higher.

Upvote 0

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems more likely that if Hawaii reopens their prices will go up…. Now that they know ‘what the market will bear’.

If wild caught is restricted or outright banned, then captive bred will probably go up even higher.
That has not been my experience with the boa constrictor trade or supply chain in general. When exports are closed the price goes up then drops soon as it opens. Simple supply and demand. 200k annual quota will not find 200k participants willing to pay current prices.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back