Is he dying??

JoeyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is dersa clam had him for about 2 and half months now and he's never looked like this untill today morning, it seems like his shell like is not attached fully idk? He still opens and closes well he did this morning

Also the other side if the clam does not look like that it look likes is attached

20240113_202340.jpg 20240113_202314.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank size and age? Water parameters? Light?

Clams are only partially attached to their shell under normal circumstances. They don't completely coat the insides with attachments.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is dersa clam had him for about 2 and half months now and he's never looked like this untill today morning, it seems like his shell like is not attached fully idk? He still opens and closes well he did this morning

Also the other side if the clam does not look like that it look likes is attached

20240113_202340.jpg 20240113_202314.jpg
Tissue is starting to retract from shell which is not a good sign. Clams dont fall down quickly unless something was off with water conditions. They can be sensitive species. You CAN’T let ammonia or nitrates to build up in their environment and best is to adhere to a schedule of 20% water changes weekly. Changes in temperature, oxygen levels, pH, or alkalinity can make a clam unhappy. Most clams also need light which promotes photosynthesis by the zooxanthellae inside their mantle. Without proper lighting, most clams will starve.
A few numbers to keep in mind with them (ranges) :
Temperature not to exceed 80
Ca not to exceed 450
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 11
Salinity best at 1.025
Nitrate not to exceed.9
Moderate water flow
Good lighting

These are ranges and not absolute. If you learn nothing today yet, remember this rule: The more colorful the clam, the more light it requires.
Light and flow are two very important considerations for all reef clams.

OP
OP
J

JoeyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size and age? Water parameters? Light?

Clams are only partially attached to their shell under normal circumstances. They don't completely coat the insides with attachments.
Tank size is 75 age is around 5 or 6 months ammonia and nitrite is 0 nitrate is around 70 been vodka dosing to lower it

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Calcium, alkalinity, salinity, PH? Though I think we've found the problem.

I would do quite a large water change to lower that nitrate. A LOT of sessile inverts won't like it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back