Is Hurricane Dorian a big Boring-ian?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZoWhat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
1567647437578.png

The friends and family of the 20 people killed or the people who lived in one of the 13k homes destroyed may feel it is more significant than a "non event."
These are the early reports. We can expect the death toll to rise from not just the hurricane, but in the days following. Recovery is far from immediate. Puerto Rico still feeling the effects two years later.
 
These are the early reports. We can expect the death toll to rise from not just the hurricane, but in the days following. Recovery is far from immediate. Puerto Rico still feeling the effects two years later.

Yes, surprising and sad that some complain it's not entertaining enough for them. I thought the solution to TV I'm not interested in was changing the channel, not hoping for more death and destruction.
 
I saw a video earlier of people just waiting at an airport for helicopters who are bringing in survivors they find. All those people have missing loved ones. One helicopter showed up and when the woman got off the chopper, the family just lost it knowing their loved one was alive. You know a lot of those people will never have that moment. The aerial footage looks like a nuclear bomb went off over those homes. Just completely destroyed. If the number stays anywhere near 20 deaths, I will be floored...I doubt it will get to the death toll that Katrina did, but they will be talking about this hurricane for the rest of their lives. So I don't know if they would agree with you that this was a "boring one"....perspective and empathy....
 
Last edited:
As long as this thread stays civil, it can stay open. We love and encourage healthy conversation...it just has to remain friendly. If you don't agree with the opinions, share yours respectfully.

To @skimjim, having had a Cat 3/4 go directly over my house just two years ago, I can assure you hurricanes are anything but a non-event. Prepping for them alone is a huge event. The calm of the eye is an eerie feeling as it passes because you quickly realize the second half is still yet to be played.

Although the goal of any network is to sell advertising, the Weather Channel's programming isn't put together for those in the middle of the country. It's target is for those in the path (or unpredictable projected path) along our coast lines. And you just have to believe me when I say these things can change, in direction and intensity, in a very short time. Google Charley...I went through that one too.

So all I ask is for you, and everyone, to keep the folks in the Bahamas in your thoughts and encourage everyone to help in any way they can. I ended up losing some fish and corals and ended up with a new roof. I am very blessed compared to the EVENT those island folks will be dealing with for years to come, assuming they even lived through it.
 
Yes, surprising and sad that some complain it's not entertaining enough for them. I thought the solution to TV I'm not interested in was changing the channel, not hoping for more death and destruction.
I really don’t think that’s what the post was about. I did not read hope for death and destruction, but just an awe of nature, And someone not understanding the immense suffering and death this storms has inflicted...

We all make mistakes or say/type inappropriate things that may lack empathy. But it usually does not come from a place of malice.

All who are reading this, if you can, please donate to an organization helping the wonderful people of the Bahamas. There are a lot of people doing some amazing work
 
I really don’t think that’s what the post was about. I did not read hope for death and destruction, but just an awe of nature

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Everyone "jumping my chicken" bc you think I'm sitting at home hoping to be entertained by death and destruction of a Hurricane are very very misconstrued

I'm simply wanting to see footage of the Hurricane's force of nature.

I was very intrigued when the Weather Channel showed footage from the aircraft that flies through the eye of the Hurricane showing 20,000ft storm cloud walls.

I'm a nut for watching the force of nature, from watching stormchasers chase tornadoes thru Kansas.... to any footage of the Hurricane's force of nature. Heck watching an avalanche where no one is involved...is amazing to watch the footage

I'm simply pointing out that the "footage" so far of this Hurricane from a force of nature POV is and has been quite boring.

Again, seeing completely destroyed homes and seeing ppl sift through their house rumble is HEARTBREAKING to me....and NOT entertaining to me at all. Seeing the force of nature when there is NO death or destruction involved in the footage is very intriguing to me.

So plzzzzz QUIT reading my post the wrong way. I'm not thrilled on how some of you are taking this post into the gutter.....to conclusions I never intended



.
 
Last edited:
Y
EXACTLY!!!!!!

Everyone "jumping my chicken" bc you think I'm sitting at home hoping to be entertained by death and destruction of a Hurricane are very very misconstrued

I'm simply wanting to see footage of the Hurricane's force of nature. I was intrigued when the Weather Channel showed footage from the aircraft that flies through the eye of the Hurricane showing 10,000ft storm cloud walls.

I'm a nut for watching the force of nature, watching stormchasers chase tornadoes thru Kansas.... to any footage of the Hurricane's force of nature.

Again, seeing completely destroyed homes and seeing ppl sift through their house rumble is HEARTBREAKING to me....and NOT entertaining to me at all. Seeing the force of nature when there is NO death or destruction involved is intriguing to me.

So plzzzzz QUIT reading my post the wrong way. I'm not thrilled on how some of you are taking this post into the gutter.....to conclusions I never intended



.
The networks covered the storms path from the start, reported the increase and decrease in intensity and showed it’s path as best they could. Anything misleading did not come from them and they corrected those that tried to add any confusion. I also watched the footage of the plane in the hurricane. I agree it’s very interesting and I’m also intrigued by natural disasters. Knowing the weather was a huge component in my previous profession. I went back and read some of your posts relating to the event and I could recognize your concern. As far as footage goes, there will likely be some recorded live footage from the event, but many of those cameras have been destroyed, so they probably only got footage up to a certain point. In addition, when the winds are 150 mph and the rain is coming in sideways, it’s going to be difficult to have any idea what’s going on. You should still own calling it a non event. You’re not the victim here.
 
It’s hitting me right now in Hilton Head.

Hurricanes are never boring if your the one in its path.

Perhaps try watching Cartoon Network.
We live in Tallahassee and were struck pretty much head-on by Michael last year. After being without power for 5 days and counting overselves among the VERY fortunate that thats all it was, I can tell you trying to keep 6 fish tanks alive is anything but boring.
 
The weather channel survives on destruction and fear so when nothing happens in the states it feels like a let down.

To other people and other countries life comes to a screeching halt. A hurricane or any other disaster is life altering event. 2006 we had two tornadoes hit our city. That event changed my perspective of tornadoes and we weren't home at the time. We drove to my office to check on it. And drove home to pick up supplies. I can assure you this is a not a non event.
 
@skimjim the next few times a good size hurricane is headed my way, you are welcome to come here and enjoy the intrigue and suspense as we follow the NHC updates every 3 hours. Oh, and you can help out with putting up storm shutters, waiting in lines to buy gas, food and water... assuming there is any left to buy. You can help test and prepare the generator, the battery operated bubblers and water pump, fill a garbage can full of water in the shower so you have water to wash yourself. Yeah, Florida doesn't have gravity fed water pressure, it's all moved by electrical water pumps... no power, no water pressure. There are a hundred little things to do to prepare for the storm during the few days before it gets to you.

Then you can either be relieved or upset that the storm didn't hit you. That happens maybe 90% of the time. But it takes time to prepare and you can't do it the day before it hits. It's way too late by then.

Personally, Hurricane Charlie's eye wall passed just 5 miles west of my house and caused $5000 in damage and left us without power for 12 days... oh, and no A/C with high temps in the mid 90's every day. And Hurricane Irma's eye wall passed just a few miles west of my house and we had to evacuate as the prediction was that it would go just west of us instead and therefore be out over the Gulf of Mexico and we'd be getting a 9 foot storm surge (our house is 5 feet above sea level). At the last minute it turned a tiny bit east and we got just dumb lucky and no storm surge. Only $1000 in damage and 3 days without power.

You'll have all the intrigue, suspense, surprise and thrills you can ask for! What excitement! Why watch it on TV and be bored? Come on down and enjoy the awe of Mother Nature at her finest! Experience it all first hand!
 
Last edited:
@skimjim the next few times a good size hurricane is headed my way, you are welcome to come here and enjoy the intrigue and suspense as we follow the NHC updates every 3 hours. Oh, and you can help out with putting up storm shutters, waiting in lines to buy gas, food and water... assuming there is any left to buy. You can help test and prepare the generator, the battery operated bubblers and water pump, fill a garbage can full of water in the shower so you have water to wash yourself. Yeah, Florida doesn't have gravity fed water pressure, it's all moved by electrical water pumps... no power, no water pressure. There are a hundred little things to do to prepare for the storm during the few days before it gets to you.

Then you can either be relieved or upset that the storm didn't hit you. That happens maybe 90% of the time. But it takes time to prepare and you can't do it the day before it hits. It's way too late by then.

Personally, Hurricane Charlie's eye wall passed just 5 miles west of my house and caused $5000 in damage and left us without power for 12 days... oh, and no A/C with high temps in the mid 90's every day. And Hurricane Irma's eye wall passed just a few miles west of my house and we had to evacuate as the prediction was that it would go just west of us instead and therefore be out over the Gulf of Mexico and we'd be getting a 9 foot storm surge (our house is 5 feet above sea level). At the last minute it turned a tiny bit east and we got just dumb lucky and no storm surge. Only $1000 in damage and 3 days without power.

You'll have all the intrigue, suspense, surprise and thrills you can ask for! What excitement! Why watch it on TV and be bored? Come on down and enjoy the awe of Mother Nature at her finest! Experience it all first hand!
No one is forcing you to live where you live. That's all I have to say about that....

And actually.... YES... I've always wanted to witness a Hurricane firsthand.... in a concrete bldg... but YES, firsthand. BucketList!
 
Last edited:
I will say that I ventured down to Cocoa Beach and saw first hand how the news crews were trying to make their coverage a little more dramatic than what was actually happening. The anchors were purposely leaning into the wind making it look like the wind was actually howling. They had to cut every time someone walked behind them and was captured on camera. That was the only thing I enjoyed out of this storm. Like said before, hurricanes are no joke and can kill people. I must admit, before I moved here I felt somewhat like SkimJim did and now I can sum it up with 2 words..... HURICANES SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am thankful that we dodged a bullet this time but my heart aches for the ones that did not get so lucky...
In other news, did anyone hear about the dive boat disaster in California??
I dove that boat countless times, another huge loss to the diving and reefing community..
It has been a tough few days out there, be safe peeps.....
 
I will say this, I’ve witnessed some serious typhoons (hurricanes). I’ve even been outside in the thicket of them; getting pummeled. These storms can get really close and not even bring rain. Maybe some wind but even less so if you’re in the middle of a city. And then BOOM!!!!! It hits. You must take every precaution. Hurricanes are hard to understand if you haven’t lived through them. They can last a matter of a few hours or even days. I have lots of pics of damage from a typhoon that hit us a couple of years ago. It took the city about half a year to fix it all. All damage was done within a couple of hours only.
 
Jim, I didn't say anything about not wanting to live here. I love it here. There isn't any place in the USA I'd rather be... well, maybe Hawaii. I was asking you to come on down and fulfill your bucket list desire!
 
It just started getting bad here about an hour ago, we just lost power and I now have the tank running on a generator. Its starting to get worse and its supposed to last another 6 hours... The sky is blue with transformers going if you want you can watch the non event here. https://poweroutage.us/ or https://www.sceg.com/outages-emergencies/power-outages/outage-map
Good luck @wyattray . There were lines of FPL trucks down here and I understand they were following the storm up. Hopefully the storm passes quickly and you don’t have damage, and power comes back quick
 
Spin the original post any way you want, but you can not separate the desire for a more "exciting" disaster from the actual toll to life and property it will cause. You can't wish for one while avoiding the other, and the lack of empathy for the later is why people, especially those who have been through a natural disaster, are reacting strongly to the post.

My Mom would wisely say "think before the words come out of your mouth".
 
A "Non event" for the United States, a catastrophe for Bahamas. Could have more or less flattened Florida if it went slightly differently.

But keep in mind weather channels thrive on fear mongering, and attempting to keep people watching.
Um, no. How can you suggest the biggest disaster and loss of life in history of the Bahamas as a non event?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new