OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will echo what Randy said. I find Red Sea test kits to report extremely high values on ICP. Definitely do not stop at first color change. Make sure you go at least 3-4 drops past that to get a “complete” color change for more accuracy.
That will make the result even higher lol

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will make the result even higher lol

The least amount of titration used (stopping at first color change) makes the value/test result appear “lower” than what it actually is. So we would think the target is “too low” and dose up. As a result, the ICP may come out to be 50-100 mg/L over the actual target. This is why I said to make sure to go to complete color change (more titration used) which shows a “higher” result, and you would likely dose “less.” This should be closer to the actual target level on ICP.

IMG_0173.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The least amount of titration used (stopping at first color change) makes the value/test result appear “lower” than what it actually is.
The issue is that the Red Sea test reads way too high.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that the Red Sea test reads way too high.

For me the test kit itself reads low, but on ICP it’s way too high, because I’m correcting based off the low reading. Same happens with the Red Sea Calcium test kit for me. It’s a little confusing, but I think you understand. If my test result came out high, I wouldn’t correct, or there would be less of a correction, and therefore the ICP value would be closer to target.

Lately when I get a result I dose back 1/2 the amount required and it’s coming back closer to target.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Salifert for a long time and the results were close enough when I ran an icp. I have no experience with red sea except for the calcium which reads the same as the Salifert does.
I do know from the RedSea calcium test that when the color changes you need to wait 10-20 seconds to make sure the color holds.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Salifert for a long time and the results were close enough when I ran an icp. I have no experience with red sea except for the calcium which reads the same as the Salifert does.
I do know from the RedSea calcium test that when the color changes you need to wait 10-20 seconds to make sure the color holds.

Yeah, I never waited. Does it need to hold. Maybe that is my problem. This is why I hate most hobby grade test kits. I do like Hanna Checkers because they give you a number, and they’re close to ICP.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salifert was within 20-30 below ATI.
That said, "Is ICP accurate for Mg" is a bit too vague. Sent one sample and got 1280 to 1480 for different ICP vendors.

So I'd just call yours 1340 +-60 ppm, that is - close enough.
Hi @taricha

I tested my magnesium with salifert at the same that I collected the sample to send to ATI ICP.

Salifert: 1425ppm

IMG_6511.png

ATI ICP result: 1436ppm

IMG_6512.jpeg

That’s much closer than I was expecting! I currently really like salifert. Thanks for recommending it to me! :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that ICP is not accurate with magnesium? I was under the impression that ICP was especially accurate with major elements.

Have you reached out to the ICP vendor? I use ATI as well but have not really crossed reference across test kits - I'd probably go crazy. I don't use it for this but since you mentioned it and being curious I did a quick check using my last result from 7/17/2023. I forget what the trident is for +- on Mg but I think I recall it being 15 ppm.

Mg:
Trident: 1253 ATI: 1314

Alk:
Trident: 8.47 ATI: 8.78

Ca:
Trident: 442 ATI: 429

Phosphate:
Hanna: .48 ATI: .38

Nitrate:
Hanna: 4.4 ATI: 4.39

I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef which reports Mg in the range of 1300 - 1350 assuming I mix it correctly.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess for me the question is not if it's accurate but is it accurate enough? I'd say most likely.

Here's some of my past testing comparing Mg results.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back