Is is a good way to raise Ph?

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a good way to raise ph? It is currently at 8.0. I also need to raise my KH which is at 6.5.

D1C4AC53-0B2E-4253-9275-4639AE9E78D0.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A product like that or any chemical to raise ph will be raising alk. It is important to test and monitor the alk no matter which product you use. Dont raise your alk rapidly or to unsafe levels just to get your ph up.

Make sure salinity is right and alk is where you want it. If ph still lower than you want then it is likely related to co2. Some alk products will increase ph more than some others.

In any case a ph of 8.0 is not really anything to worry about(also if you are monitoring ph be aware it will probably go up and down by .2 to .4 each day cycle)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a good way to raise ph? It is currently at 8.0. I also need to raise my KH which is at 6.5.

D1C4AC53-0B2E-4253-9275-4639AE9E78D0.jpeg
No. If your PH is 8.0, I would try increase surface agitation and open a window to help decrease CO2 in the water and in the room. Increasing your Alk (slowly) will raise the PH slightly but it will be temporary. There is nothing wrong with your PH being 8, so long as it’s fairly consistent, it’s not a problem. I would be weary of chasing numbers and using additives to raise PH.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A product like that or any chemical to raise ph will be raising alk. It is important to test and monitor the alk no matter which product you use. Dont raise your alk rapidly or to unsafe levels just to get your ph up.

Make sure salinity is right and alk is where you want it. If ph still lower than you want then it is likely related to co2. Some alk products will increase ph more than some others.

In any case a ph of 8.0 is not really anything to worry about(also if you are monitoring ph be aware it will probably go up and down by .2 to .4 each day cycle)
Would you recommend to raise alk? I currently have 4 frags of Zoas.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. If your PH is 8.0, I would try increase surface agitation and open a window to help decrease CO2 in the water and in the room. Increasing your Alk (slowly) will raise the PH slightly but it will be temporary. There is nothing wrong with your PH being 8, so long as it’s fairly consistent, it’s not a problem. I would be weary of chasing numbers and using additives to raise PH.
I do have a power aimed upwards the surface and it is kind of cold where I live but sure will . What do you think for my alk?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You REALLY need to maintain your Kh... pick a number and keep it stable. 6.5 is a bit low... I run ~9 here with a mixed reef. Don't chase ph, chase Kh and keep it steady.
I’ve read many people have 9 alk so I might go for that and use this to raise it.

Attachments

• 6401C02A-4E61-47DE-95EC-45CCD10A5B40.jpeg
    6401C02A-4E61-47DE-95EC-45CCD10A5B40.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 22

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose BRS 2 part to maintain parameters:

They also have a nice calculator to figure out how much to dose:

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash will raise alkalinity and PH ..... sodium bicarbonate will raise alkalinity and temporary lower PH. . Check out Bulk Reef Supply they have videos on everything you need to know. Check out the newer videos because so much has changed through my years.. I keep my alkalinity @ 8.5 - for my mix reef so soda ash should be good for you to raise ph and alkalinity. I get mine bulk reef supply.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash will raise alkalinity and PH ..... sodium bicarbonate will raise alkalinity and temporary lower PH. . Check out Bulk Reef Supply they have videos on everything you need to know. Check out the newer videos because so much has changed through my years.. I keep my alkalinity @ 8.5 - for my mix reef so soda ash should be good for you to raise ph and alkalinity. I get mine bulk reef supply.
This^

Remember that the Ph bump is temporary and will fade and fall back to a lower number. Fresh air from outside, more surface agitation (gas exchange), or a CO2 scrubber if your Ph is low after bumping and maintaining the high all level.

Also, and important, don't go from 6.5 to 9 in one dose. Do it SLOWLY over like a week.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a power aimed upwards the surface and it is kind of cold where I live but sure will . What do you think for my alk?
Alkalinity is to low, mine is 8.5. For mixed tank Many people keep it 9 or higher depends on your corals

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way where I could just use soda ash?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with an alkalinity of 6.5 is that it does not provide a lot of “buffering” to protect from pH changes. I agree not to chase pH. Rather increase your alk slowly so that you have more buffering against acidic loads in the tank and this will protect your pH from falling further. Remember that just like the human body, acceptable pH has a very narrow range and quick changes are usually not tolerated well. Alk is the buffer that maintains the narrow range and prevents acute changes.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way where I could just use soda ash?
Yes and no... you SHOULD dose and equal part of calcium with with the soda ash. That is, if you're dosing 25ml of sad ash daily, you should be dosing 25ml of calcium as well. Magnesium is dosed at a rate of around 1/4-1/6 of what you dose the other 2.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back