Is it a Skimmer or Filter? It's BOTH!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Is there a picture of the modified impeller anywhere to be seen?

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/04/03/10-neat-features-of-the-coralife-marine-filter-hob-skimmer/

coralife-marine-filter-7.jpg

coralife-marine-filter-6.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Only thing I would want to know is if you could pull the filter floss out of that basket casing and cut a block of Marine Pure to stick that in there. Have enough room to move the filter floss back behind the plastic casing that holds the Marine Pure to have a mechanical, beefed up biological, and what is that green sponge that runs across? Is it some kind of ammonia sponge.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Only thing I would want to know is if you could pull the filter floss out of that basket casing and cut a block of Marine Pure to stick that in there. Have enough room to move the filter floss back behind the plastic casing that holds the Marine Pure to have a mechanical, beefed up biological, and what is that green sponge that runs across? Is it some kind of ammonia sponge.

It looks like a piece of those phosphate adsorbing pads.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
@40B Knasty We have one on the way to test out ourselves and I can provide you a more thorough answer thereafter. I imagine you could remove the filter cartridges completely and replace with a cut piece of Marine Pure along with filter floss and maybe even modify the cartridges. I will have to double check on the green sponge as well but it is likely just a bubble trap to ensure micro-bubbles are not a problem. Unfortunately, not too much information is available online at the moment but once we have the unit here for review, I will ensure we update the description and will be happy to answer your questions.

Until then, take care and happy reefkeeping!

-Robert @ MD

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@40B Knasty We have one on the way to test out ourselves and I can provide you a more thorough answer thereafter. I imagine you could remove the filter cartridges completely and replace with a cut piece of Marine Pure along with filter floss and maybe even modify the cartridges. I will have to double check on the green sponge as well but it is likely just a bubble trap to ensure micro-bubbles are not a problem. Unfortunately, not too much information is available online at the moment but once we have the unit here for review, I will ensure we update the description and will be happy to answer your questions.

Until then, take care and happy reefkeeping!

-Robert @ MD
If you set it up on a tank. Let us know how long the break in time is for the skimmer part and if it dumps micro bubbles into the tank and for how long. Thanks Robert! Love those ELOS test kits you guys carry. I have the pH, Pro Phosphates, and Nitrates kit. I always recommend that kit to people and show them your video. Then I show them mine on how to use it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back