Is it cheaper to make your own RODI water or buy 5G at the LFS?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title.

Recently purchased my first property (yay) and now I have to pay for water...

So the question is... what's cheaper? My wife says its cheaper to buy it but I don't think it is...

I live in South Florida (Davie) not sure if that matters

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the actual math in front of me but a $60-70 RODI and then a new DI sleeve every 6-8 months (depending on the amount of water your filtering each week) is definitely going to beat the sheer frustration of buying and dragging around 5G of water once a week or two weeks depending on water change frequency. That's my opinion.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Maryland and I make my own RODI. I’ve only seen an uptick of about $18-$25 on my water bill, and our bills are quarterly instead of monthly. It is absolutely cheaper to make your own instead of purchasing it.

18-25 monthly or yearly?

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A filter system is worthwhile here in cfl the water is quite horrible, I’d imagine probabl less so in sf, I’d still convince the wife to buy an ro/di system as it will pay for itself over time, as pre processed salt water is expensive in time/effort when compared to making it yourself.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use a water saver or anything
I bought an RO Buddy 4 stage RODI filter, and hook it up to the mess sink in my laundry room and store the water into two brute trash cans, one for saltwater and another for freshwater. I then hook up a float switch for the freshwater can do it doesn’t overflow. Easy as can be and extremely cost effective. I run my tank very old fashioned (I don’t dose) and do decent water changes every week to replenish trace elements and nutrients.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A filter system is worthwhile here in cfl the water is quite horrible, I’d imagine probabl less so in sf, I’d still convince the wife to buy an ro/di system as it will pay for itself over time, as pre processed salt water is expensive in time/effort when compared to making it yourself.
Can I do anything with the waste water? I live in a condo so sadly I don't have any plants

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an RO Buddy 4 stage RODI filter, and hook it up to the mess sink in my laundry room and store the water into two brute trash cans, one for saltwater and another for freshwater. I then hook up a float switch for the freshwater can do it doesn’t overflow. Easy as can be and extremely cost effective. I run my tank very old fashioned (I don’t dose) and do decent water changes every week to replenish trace elements and nutrients.
Mine would have to go under the guest sink, I have a RO Buddy as well but that man thing produces so much waste water

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would have to go under the guest sink, I have a RO Buddy as well but that man thing produces so much waste water
You can collect the waste water and just run it through a Brita and just use that for regular drinking water, at least that’s what we do so we don’t waste too much.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re only doing 20g a month, just get yourself a Home Depot or Lowe’s bucket and run the RODI to there, it only takes and hour to fill it up to what you need.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re only doing 20g a month, just get yourself a Home Depot or Lowe’s bucket and run the RODI to there, it only takes and hour to fill it up to what you need.

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on brs “bulk reef supply” for the roDi water saver kit. There is nothing you can do except water your plants with that waste water. Get the pressure pump and you will save water and a bunch of time.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.46.08 PM.png

I wanted to try and figure it out. I know not everyone is going to agree on the math. If the cost of tap is really on average $0.0015 per gallon, this math probably pans out correctly. Again, if true, making your own is less that half the cost of buying.

You also have the $70 buy-in with the RODI unit but that'll push the purchase of additional replacements back at least 5 months.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back