Is it fair to say I'm about to be overrun by snails?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the full moon must have made my astraea turbo snails feel "in the mood" as I have snail eggs all over the glass and live rock, about a dozen different deposit sites. Seeing as how I do not have fish currently in my new tank, does this mean I can expect a population explosion of snails and if so, then what?

R4mK2Qk.jpg

U2KwKyq.jpg

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I'd guess that even without predators the survival rate is likely small.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been laying eggs like that every week or so for past few months. Most of the babies seem to make it down to my sump. It's either that or my Red line wrasse is eating all he can find in the tank. Whatever is going on, in a couple of weeks keep an eye on your filter socks. I change mine twice a week and I would find a bunch in there, usually alive. I then either place them in my fuge (which has become a nursery of sorts until they're bigger then I move them to the tank) or put them directly back into the tank when the wrasse isn't looking. I don't know how fast they grow but I haven't had any grow to full size yet in the few month they've been laying eggs. The ones I've been able to see have grown to about 25% the size of the adults, maybe there's some bigger hiding in the rocks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back