Is it me or my tank

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1642148113216.png

I don't think anybody has mentioned that the ICP test revealed severe iodine deficiency in the water .. I'm not well versed on all the functions that iodine impacts (casual search shows soft tissue growth, IIRC other things like shrimp molting), but it's definitely a problem.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anybody has mentioned that the ICP test revealed severe iodine deficiency in the water .. I'm not well versed on all the functions that iodine impacts (casual search shows soft tissue growth, IIRC other things like shrimp molting), but it's definitely a problem.
I was just going to mention the outlying Iodine numbers - and as this most easily addressed with a drop or two a day - and I two have seen a difference with Iodine dosing - I second this concern

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added iodine as well as slowly ramping my lights. And I have seen much improved behaviour from my cyphstrea. My Duncan also appears to be opening more but not as positive response as the cyphstrea. It looks like we are going in the right direction

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have seen much improved behaviour from my cyphstrea. My Duncan also appears to be opening more but not as positive response as the cyphstrea. It looks like we are going in the right direction

Great news!

I have added iodine as well as slowly ramping my lights

Be careful changing too many things at once. Don't want to potentially overshoot on the light.

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the par is to low. To high and you get bleaching. To low and you get great extension, yet starvation. Looks great but they don't bleach they just.. wither away.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the light may be too low. I also saw that your wavemakers are pointed at the surface. I would have them face straight across the tank. SPS corals will want more flow.
If you're using store bought water, you have no idea what you're getting. I suggest getting an RODI system for your home.
If you buy an ATI test (which is better IMO), it includes the analysis for your RODI water as well as your tank. You could send in the store water sample to see if it's truly "clean" water.

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't give in depth analysis of the situation, but there is something you may try, small new setup with different water and light.

Set a separate container like Reef Vase or a small EcoReef Zero-like cube, a couple of gallons will be enough, any heater with thermostat and a source of flow (smallest water pump or a bubbler as in Reef Vase). Low flow for cyphastrea. Light could be: positioned very high 12W PAR38 LED tuna blue bulb, or Nicrew Saltwater LED, or even 20W 50-50 Coralife PC bulb in a desktop lamp. Get some rock from main tank and the least expensive LPS frag. Use another salt mix, small pack to try, from low alkalinity salt mixes. Mix in bottled distilled water, follow manufacturer's instructions. Calibrate refractometer or try another device like floating glass hydrometer. Feed from time to time. This should work. If issues with dinos, cyano and such, dose nitrates and phosphates.

Maybe something in a main tank, who knows. At least you will know that keeping LPS and later sps like birdsnest is possible. For sps, dosing alkalinity and Ca will be necessary, manually is enough for a simple tank.

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the wave makers pointing upwards for surface agitaion. I'll bear it mind for the future. For now I'm going to leave it be to see how we go now that i am seeing improvement.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the wave makers pointing upwards for surface agitaion. I'll bear it mind for the future. For now I'm going to leave it be to see how we go now that i am seeing improvement.
Ok. I'd say good flow within the tank is better than a little surface movement. I'm assuming you're not running a skimmer. If you want to add air, drop an airstone into one of the chambers in the back. Then you can use your wavemakers for what they were intended for.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up a thread like this is really helpful so new readers can get the full story! In the end, it sounds like your lights were too low?

great news that things are on track for you. I’m sure it’s very discouraging to put that much work into your system and not get the results you’d like.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back