Is it necessary to use the heater during the tank cycle?

Uscanga2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to use the heater during the cycle

Hi friends, I'll put a 40-gallon tank and my question is whether it affects or not, having the heater on during the cycle. in these times the temperature of my house oscillates by 15-12 degrees Celsius (53-55 degrees fahrenheit)

thanks you guys!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just to be safe. If you're using live rock there may be some critters in there that don't like colder temps, plus the bacteria that you want in your tank probably likes the warmer temps to.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually different bacteria levels and types between tropical and temperate tanks.

It would be best to use a heater and have the water at close to the right temp before kicking in the cycle. Lights aren’t needed tho

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not absolutely necessary, but its better. There is also no anecdotal or experimental evidence to back this up, other than the assumption that same temperature will likely to influence the right type of bacterial population to flourish. My somewhat esoteric list of equipment in terms of their importance will be:
1) Power head (flow is absolutely needed, without this cycling wong be same(
2) Heater (should be used, but hell wont break loose if you dont)
3) Light (not needed, you can add them, but its not very relevant, in fact arguments can be made to not use them in order to avoid algae bloom)

For what its worth, I have cycled a tank outside :) (cycled as in noted the param going up and then down using API test kit, followed by green algae bloom), in california, bay area where the temperature goes around 50F during the night easily. I was able to cycle /cure rocks or substrate without any major issue, I just stay extra cautious spend enough time in between transistion (month or two) before making any changes

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always keep a heater going bc if that tank gets to cold you will be screwed bc that produces less oxygen and that will kill any corals you have or fish they are really sensitive to temperatures and your trying to replicate and actual environment anyways

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what your game plan is overall after the cycle. Some "quick cycle" kits include a buffer agent/alk booster. If you use one of these kits, you're more than likely going to be testing for certain parameters that would require your temp/salinity to be correct, to ensure accurate reading.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back