Is it safe to add cement rock to tank?

RockyroadReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have some freshly made Portland cement mix rocks made up and I want to know if it is safe to add them to my reef tank? They've never been used in a tank before so I'm not worried about hitch hikers, and I already have lots of live rock in my tank so I'm not worried about treating them with bacteria. Is there anything else I need to be worried about/do before adding to my tank?
c

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
freshwater - Maybe . . . . . In a marine tank, I personally would not as it is porous and can leach lime and other cement ingredients altering the PH and alk where it could become lethal to coral and some fish

OP
OP
RockyroadReef

RockyroadReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
freshwater - Maybe . . . . . In a marine tank, I personally would not as it is porous and can leach lime and other cement ingredients altering the PH and alk where it could become lethal to coral and some fish
It is bad to have it be porous? And if I have it sit in fish water for a while will it get rid of the lime?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is bad to have it be porous? And if I have it sit in fish water for a while will it get rid of the lime?
It dissipates slowly. Pourous allows the rock to be absorbant.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may wish to check out the Real Reef Rock website. They create rocks designed for marine aquariums and even then they soak the rocks for a long time before using them. They have recently updated their website. I can't find the exact amount of time the rocks are soaked. I recall it was 6 months but it might have been 6 weeks. They soak them in freshwater first to leach out unwanted compounds and then saltwater to build up bacteria.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back