Is it safe to place weather strip foam on top of a home built stand FRAME?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plywood on top just a stained/sealed frame, someones(near my zip) 55 low boy bottom cracked due to some rocks' weight(they think) but they're also saying it could be due to the stand not being 100% flat on top(it was diy stand), by placing weather strip foam-does that make it safe if the stand is not 100% flat on top, theyre saying even 1 mm can create chaos, btw this is a RIMMED tank, open top frame(no plywood yet) @RocketEngineer @vetteguy53081

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam does not go under rimmed tanks and it doesn’t fix an uneven stand. It is for imperfections like bumps and such under a rimless tank.

If the foam were to compress enough for the middle part to touch the glass on a rim tank, you could crack it.

The rim on the tanks protects it from imperfections just like foam does for rimless.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam does not go under rimmed tanks and it doesn’t fix an uneven stand. It is for imperfections like bumps and such under a rimless tank.

If the foam were to compress enough for the middle part to touch the glass on a rim tank, you could crack it.

The rim on the tanks protects it from imperfections just like foam does for rimless.
Dang I was told to put weather strip foam on top of my stand built by a handyman for my rimmed tank, guess I will take that out!

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stand made with dimensional lumber....2x4's or 2x6's? If so, one of the reasons I suggest topping with 3/4 plywood is to "level" out the top. Dimensional lumber is known to have a little crown, twist or warp, and the plywood helps in smoothing this out.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stand made with dimensional lumber....2x4's or 2x6's? If so, one of the reasons I suggest topping with 3/4 plywood is to "level" out the top. Dimensional lumber is known to have a little crown, twist or warp, and the plywood helps in smoothing this out.
2x4 kiln dry lumber(regular lumber), i cant take the weather strip foam out now... is it okay to leave it there is a 125 i cant buy another rimless tank

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back