Is it toxic dinos?

shom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

A soft algae-like something has appeared in my coral tank since yesterday.:eek: (mov. 1)
I'm afraid that it might be dinos. :confused:

I took the piece of it and poured oxydol on it, but its color did not change. (mov. 2)
I've heard If it's dinos, it turns purple.
Is it unlikely that they are toxic dinos that kill fish and shellfish? (This is my question)

Just in case, I have stopped the protein skimmer during the daytime zone. And I have also stopped adding NO3PO4-X and trace elements.

I have been doing weekly water condition tests for more than a year in this tank, and I've cared for the environment is not subject to sudden changes in water condition. (pic. 3)

watercondition_20210713.png

However, since I changed all the rocks (death rock) at the beginning of May, the PO4 tended to be high, so I had to do something different from the past.
- For about 3 weeks, I've been doing 1/5th water change weekly (This is double the conventional amount).
- Setting the power of the protein skimmer higher.

These may have caused the growth of soft algae-like something (possible dinos).

[ my tank spec and routine ]
- Tank : RedSea Reefer NANO (105 litter, 28 gallon)
- Light : RedSea ReefLED 50
- Skimmer : ZEST Genesis DC500
- Wave pump : 2 micro pumps
- UV sterilizers : 9W
- Routine :
- weekly water condition test (temp, salinity, ph, NO3, PO4, Ca, KH, Mg)
- weekly water change 1/10 (however, I have changed 1/5 last 3 weeks)
- daily dosing (RedSea NO3PO4-X, Reef Foundation, Trace Colors)

thank you.

IMG_0552 2.JPG

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first movie, it does indeed look like dinos. One of the easiest ways to determine dinos is that during the day it will produce bubbles, and it looks like snot.

Manual removal, such as using a soft bristle toothbrush, as well as increasing your nutrients will help eliminate it. Having PO4 around .03-.05 and Nitrates between 5-10 seems to work pretty well. I had dinos pretty bad in one of my tanks when it first started. I would scrub the rocks with a toothbrush, I was dosing Nitrates and Phosphates and changing my filter sock daily to keep the toxic material out.

Depending on the type of dinos, a UV sterilizer can help as well (I'd argue that everyone should have UV anyway). You'll need to get a sample of the dinos and put them under a microscope to get proper identification.

OP
OP
shom

shom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first movie, it does indeed look like dinos. One of the easiest ways to determine dinos is that during the day it will produce bubbles, and it looks like snot.

Manual removal, such as using a soft bristle toothbrush, as well as increasing your nutrients will help eliminate it. Having PO4 around .03-.05 and Nitrates between 5-10 seems to work pretty well. I had dinos pretty bad in one of my tanks when it first started. I would scrub the rocks with a toothbrush, I was dosing Nitrates and Phosphates and changing my filter sock daily to keep the toxic material out.

Depending on the type of dinos, a UV sterilizer can help as well (I'd argue that everyone should have UV anyway). You'll need to get a sample of the dinos and put them under a microscope to get proper identification.
Thanks a lot for your reply and advice!

Oh, you think this is dinos aren't you? Yes, I think so, its looks is like dinos.
It seems it doesn't produce bubble , but I think its looks is just like snot.

This morning, I looked at the tank, and it seems that it has not increased since yesterday.
First, I sucked it out with a dropper. I was able to suck it out easily.
Because I want to increase NO3 in this tank, I'm feeding fish food more than ordinaly.
The UV sterillizer is already installed. I think it's nessesory too.

In taking about dinos, I often hear "you need to check with a microscope", but I don't have a microscope, so I can't check right now.

Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back