Is melanarus considered a lined wrasse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SeaJay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SeaJay

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2018
Messages
816
Reaction score
912
Location
Loganville, GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about a mystery wrasse as my next addition. I have a melanarus. I know lined wrasse do not typically do well together, so specifically looking to know if the melanarus and mystery are a bad combo.

Thanks!
 
It's a matter of genus.
"lined" wrasses are Pseudocheilinus. The mystery wrasse is Pseudocheilinus ocellatus.
The melanrus is Halichoeres melanurus. So it is not a "lined" wrasse.

However, all Pseudocheilinus species pretty much have the same tendencies, and therefore should NOT be added with any other wrasses.
Bottom line: don't do it.
 
It's a matter of genus.
"lined" wrasses are Pseudocheilinus. The mystery wrasse is Pseudocheilinus ocellatus.
The melanrus is Halichoeres melanurus. So it is not a "lined" wrasse.

However, all Pseudocheilinus species pretty much have the same tendencies, and therefore should NOT be added with any other wrasses.
Bottom line: don't do it.
Thanks for the detailed info. Good to know.
 
Agreed. You can mix Melanurus with Wrasses of other species but not the Mystery, 6 line, 4 line, 8 line, etc. Although I would add the Melanurus Wrasse last.
 
Agreed. You can mix Melanurus with Wrasses of other species but not the Mystery, 6 line, 4 line, 8 line, etc. Although I would add the Melanurus Wrasse last.
Melanarus is already in the dt. If I decide to introduce another wrasse, should I take him out? Put him in an acclimation box? Roll the dice and take bets?
 
Melanarus is already in the dt. If I decide to introduce another wrasse, should I take him out? Put him in an acclimation box? Roll the dice and take bets?
Put the new guy in the box and observe in this case.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new