Is mine 200l tank enough for Yellow foxface?

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for my first fish. Now i have not so much variety in shops cause of war and difficulties with non-air shipment, so my eye fell on "in stock" siganus vulpinus.
It atracted me with +- reasonable price, beauty and MOST IMPORTAINT - IT WILL EAT MY ALGAE.
Dimentions: 75x45x55h in santimeters.
Yeah, i know that the bigger the better, but there is no other choices... Someone says from 200, someone 300... but i want to know how much "NO" in my situation...

1713602777727.png

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put a Foxface or Tang in a tank your size. Not even the smallest Bristletooth Tangs. Look into something like a dwarf Angel as your centerpiece fish.

Edit: Yeah, sorry to tell you this but the Foxface and any Tang will just get too big for your tank.

@i cant think Has experience with a Foxface.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for my first fish. Now i have not so much variety in shops cause of war and difficulties with non-air shipment, so my eye fell on "in stock" siganus vulpinus.
It atracted me with +- reasonable price, beauty and MOST IMPORTAINT - IT WILL EAT MY ALGAE.
Dimentions: 75x45x55h in santimeters.
Yeah, i know that the bigger the better, but there is no other choices... Someone says from 200, someone 300... but i want to know how much "NO" in my situation...

1713602777727.png
Do you plan to upgrade?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what do you think)
I wouldn’t, these guys really want 3’ length to be happy. 4’ is best but I’ve had success in 3’ tanks if the tank is designed around them.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think
Hm, mine`s only 15sm less, the main is that it's only valid option for the nearest future in case of choice
Also the scape is not lo large, there is a bit of space :face-with-monocle: ...

1713639178255.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think
Hm, mine`s only 15sm less, the main is that it's only valid option for the nearest future in case of choice
Also the scape is not lo large, there is a bit of space :face-with-monocle: ...

1713639178255.png
I’d say it’s a push but short term with a very small one sure.

I have had 2 Siganus species - one on the smaller side and one on the larger side. They each commonly got to 6-9 inches long. The Tongan Black (S. niger) was 7-9 inches and the Magnificent (S. magnificus) was 6-7 inches. I picked up another Magnificus today which is 6-7 inches.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s a push but short term with a very small one sure.

I have had 2 Siganus species - one on the smaller side and one on the larger side. They each commonly got to 6-9 inches long. The Tongan Black (S. niger) was 7-9 inches and the Magnificent (S. magnificus) was 6-7 inches. I picked up another Magnificus today which is 6-7 inches.
She's now 9 centimeters in the store. I haven't dealt with fish before, but it looks like a young one, how fast do they grow? Of course I feel guilty, but I also want fish, and there is not much choice. Maybe she will get used to such a tank....

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's now 9 centimeters in the store. I haven't dealt with fish before, but it looks like a young one, how fast do they grow? Of course I feel guilty, but I also want fish, and there is not much choice. Maybe she will get used to such a tank....
They grow fairly quickly, I’ve only got real experience with 2 in personal tanks but have looked after every species of Fox in an LFS.

The Magnificent is a slower grower (They seem to grow in spurts), the Tongan had very noticeable growth. From memory, the Vulpinus has a faster growth but it’s not always noticeable.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could come for a visit and eat the algae you have now and then go back to the lfs?

The algae would be back in a week or two so what would be accomplished?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't. What other fish does the store currently have?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im sorry, then whats the point in asking?
Just get the fish, and get ready for grief after you get it.

Thats all I can say.

I made the mistake you will make many times... didn't listen to people when they said don't, and did, only to learn from a expensive mistake.

Oh btw, foxfaces have spines, and can also become nasty bullies later on if they don't have the space to graze on rockwork and stuff.

Just take all the bad things you hear about it, and assume you will be subjected to it, because it wont be a happy foxface in a small tank like that.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't. What other fish does the store currently have?
Or do they have an algae eating sea slug? Not many fish or other animals can eat macro algae’s and live for a long time in a small aquarium that can survive and control algae growth.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went from under an inch to about 6-7 in 3 months

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back