$650 yellow tang ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a yellow tang for my new system. The plan is to introduce it, along with at least one other new fish to avoid aggression on a single fish, about 10-14 days after the tank transfert.

This way my existing fish will have gone through the stress of moving tanks but they won’t have fully established territories yet. The only potential aggressor is my blue eye kole tang. He will chase new fish for about 1-2 weeks when introduced. Last time I introduced 2 at a time and it really helped disperse aggression.

The only choice for yellow tangs is a tiny little biota at $250-$300 CAD. I can’t imagine such a delicate and small fish in my DT with the kole tang, so I would have to raise it in a second tank for a while and that’s not something I’m willing to do at the moment. Sometimes there are medium or larger ones for $400 but it seems to be a while ago so I suppose the prices went up.

BUT… a local store I trust has a small adult that they bought from someone tearing down their tank. It’s smaller than average and they are selling it for $650 CAD. The owner said it’s expensive and I should wait. He said they used to sell those fish for $30. But couldn’t say wait until when, or if he is going to get medium/large ones soon. So that’s not too helpful.

To me that’s just crazy but I guess I’d rather pay $650 for a fish that lives than $300 for a fish that gets killed…

I don’t know. What’s your opinion ? Would a biota survive in my display tank ?

My current stock list :

blue eye kole tang
one spot foxface
yellow wrasse
yellow watchman goby
pyjama cardinal
banggai cardinal
firefish
2 oscellaris clowns (still immature and showing no aggression)

Thanks !

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs are very hard to get at the moment. That price is good if you consider the availability. Please do yourself a favor and get (make) an acclimation box. I cannot recommend it enough.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a yellow tang for my new system. The plan is to introduce it, along with at least one other new fish to avoid aggression on a single fish, about 10-14 days after the tank transfert.

This way my existing fish will have gone through the stress of moving tanks but they won’t have fully established territories yet. The only potential aggressor is my blue eye kole tang. He will chase new fish for about 1-2 weeks when introduced. Last time I introduced 2 at a time and it really helped disperse aggression.

The only choice for yellow tangs is a tiny little biota at $250-$300 CAD. I can’t imagine such a delicate and small fish in my DT with the kole tang, so I would have to raise it in a second tank for a while and that’s not something I’m willing to do at the moment. Sometimes there are medium or larger ones for $400 but it seems to be a while ago so I suppose the prices went up.

BUT… a local store I trust has a small adult that they bought from someone tearing down their tank. It’s smaller than average and they are selling it for $650 CAD. The owner said it’s expensive and I should wait. He said they used to sell those fish for $30. But couldn’t say wait until when, or if he is going to get medium/large ones soon. So that’s not too helpful.

To me that’s just crazy but I guess I’d rather pay $650 for a fish that lives than $300 for a fish that gets killed…

My current stock list :

blue eye kole tang
one spot foxface
yellow wrasse
yellow watchman goby
pyjama cardinal
banggai cardinal
firefish

Thanks !
How big is your tank? How about the kole? I introduced a small biota yellow tang into my display and my coral beauty wasn't happy about it. put the angel in a time out box in the display for 10 days, and all was fine after. I also saw a yellow tang for sale for $450 at my LFS from a tank breakdown, I couldn't bear to pay that much. If you go biota, feel free to use discount code REEFSTACHE for 10% off (not my discount code, just sharing the wealth)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay that much just on principal. I think they are gouging you.
I would negociate the price down a bit but I doubt they’ll they more than 50$ off, maybe 75$ if I’m lucky.

Yellow tangs are very hard to get at the moment. That price is good if you consider the availability. Please do yourself a favor and get (make) an acclimation box. I cannot recommend it enough.
Good advice. I’ll check that out.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? How about the kole? I introduced a small biota yellow tang into my display and my coral beauty wasn't hapy about it. put the angel in a time out box in the display for 10 days, and all was fine after.
My new tank will be 48 x 24 x 22 high (110 gallons) and the kole tang is adult size. I don’t know how big, maybe 5-6 inches.

There is no way I can catch this fish. Way too fast.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank will be 48 x 24 x 22 high (110 gallons) and the kole tang is adult size. I don’t know how big, maybe 5-6 inches.

I know what you mean, I had to completely rip apart my rockscape to catch the angel, but it was tearing up the tang's fins so it had to be done. I edited my first post with a bit more info if helpful.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish traps could help.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So why can't you leave the kole Tang in the old tank and introduce the biota into the new tank for a month then put the kole in.
If that's not an option, when you break down the old tank put the kole in a hospital tank for a month.
If that's not an option, rearrange your whole tank so nobody has an upper fin advantage. That sometimes works too.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3129.jpeg
IMG_2817.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why can't you leave the kole Tang in the old tank and introduce the biota into the new tank for a month then put the kole in.
Because there is no room for both tanks. The 75 gallons is leaving the same day the 110 gallons is being set up.

If that's not an option, when you break down the old tank put the kole in a hospital tank for a month.
That’s a brilliant idea. It would be my first choice if I can find a yellow tang before the tank upgrade, in two weeks.

If that's not an option, rearrange your whole tank so nobody has an upper fin advantage. That sometimes works too.
This is not as interesting but also a possible solution. Thanks.

First pic is from early november, 2nd is the day i got him. You can see he's grown substantially. Here's a recent vid as well, the blue light doesn't do justice to how much he's "yellowed up", but yu can see the growth clearly.
The ones they sell around here are 1 to 1 1/2 inch. Was yours that small ? It really looks nice and big now !

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because there is no room for both tanks. The 75 gallons is leaving the same day the 110 gallons is being set up.

That’s a brilliant idea. It would be my first choice if I can find a yellow tang before the tank upgrade, in two weeks.

This is not as interesting but also a possible solution. Thanks.

The ones they sell around here are 1 to 1 1/2 inch. Was yours that small ? It really looks nice and big now !
yes, when i ordered they only had "small" available. he was about the size of a half dollar coin on arrival on 10/4/2023.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I found a 5 inch one for 380$ ! The owner of the store is getting 3 of them from someone who has too many in a 600 gallons tank. He’s had them for 5 years and they’re in very good health.

I’m also buying a swallow tail angel from him (which was my plan) and a large acclimation box.

I’m so happy ! :)

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My current stock list :

blue eye kole tang
one spot foxface
yellow wrasse
yellow watchman goby
pyjama cardinal
banggai cardinal
firefish

Thanks !
I had an established adult purple tang when I put my biota baby yellow in. Had him in an acclimation box. There was some aggression but the purple left the yellow alone. He has actually grown quite fast! I would recommend biota for sure!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back