Is multiple triggers in a FOWLR possible?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a large FOWLR tank with aggressive fish. Triggers are my personal favorite. Assuming tank size is large enough, is it possible to house 2+ Rhinecanthus triggers (Picasso, Bursa, Rectangle, etc. - included Clown too) or do they not get along? Thanks!

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goldenback trigger and crosshatch trigger with a Niger Trigger and pinktail trigger all getting along great.. Your triggers are a bit more on agressive side. I would mix it up a bit..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about more than one Rhinecanthus can thus in the same tank, but providing a large enough tank it is possible. I've kept many multiple trigger combos over the years. I have a juvi tank with a clown, niger, and blueline. You can get Rhinecanthus species and clown triggers very small, if you start with small juvi you'll be better off. Getting larger clown is usually a high risk unless you are talking 300 or over.

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know these triggers are more aggressive but I wasn't sure if they are fine together as a similar species group. I don't have any plans for a tank at the moment, but I'd imagine a 300+ gal would be necessary.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a large FOWLR tank with aggressive fish. Triggers are my personal favorite. Assuming tank size is large enough, is it possible to house 2+ Rhinecanthus triggers (Picasso, Bursa, Rectangle, etc. - included Clown too) or do they not get along? Thanks!

It most certainly is. I had a Picaso/Huma Huma Trigger, Niger Triger and a Clown Trigger all in the same tank. Clowns get very big though.

The one Trigger you want to stay away from, and I don't even know why it's sold in the hobby, is the Undulated Trigger. Super aggressive and NASTY to most tankmates.

My first saltwater tank was a predator tank and had those 3 Triggers, a Panther Grouper, Harlequin Tuskfish (you gotta have one of those), a Long Horn Cow Fish, Volitan Lionfish, and Lunar Wrasse. I also had a few other groupers and a Frog Fish. That's the one that looks like a rock and dangles a piece on his head in front of his mouth and when fish go to check it out, he eats them. That stupid Frog Fish ate fish 4 times his size. So stay away from those as well.

But make sure to check how big they get BEFORE buying them. If I didn't have a tank leak, I would've been in big trouble because those fish were in a 72 bow tank and should've been in a 300 gallon tank. But this was 20 years ago before you could research everything online.

I even hatched a Cat Shark egg in my sump but he died from not eating.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back