Is my acan dead?

SimaoF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started reefing a month ago, and I ve bought recently a acans and it seems dead by now…
Idk how but it lost a lot of fleash and colour
Please help.
image.jpg

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started reefing a month ago, and I ve bought recently a acans and it seems dead by now…
Idk how but it lost a lot of fleash and colour
Please help.
image.jpg
Looks pretty bad. Not saying it can’t bounce back but doesn’t look good.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks dead to me with algae and cyano on it. Acans do not do well in new tanks. You need to allow your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna before adding corals but if you are impatient you can try easy corals like zoas.

OP
OP
S

SimaoF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted my LFS and they said that can be normal due to water parameters, since the cycle was recently done. They also said that acan can stay closed a long time but as a new reefer I’m kinda afraid of any slight change

OP
OP
S

SimaoF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks dead to me with algae and cyano on it. Acans do not do well in new tanks. You need to allow your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna before adding corals but if you are impatient you can try easy corals like zoas.
I have a small rock of zoas, they are doing great, such as my green torch and my grafted euphylia

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with this!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dip Acans in a hydrogen peroxide/water bath mix. Doesn’t bother them. That would give it its best chance of making any recovery…

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the pure white rock,I would say that tank is maybe a week or so out of cycle. And yeah,I would consider that a goner,unfortunately.

When LPS get BJD (brown jelly disease) its hard for them,especially Acan's,Torch and Hammers. I think that its a little too far gone.

IF you wanna try an salvage it,put it in a super low flow area,spot feed it,keep it in dim light and cross your fingers. Honestly,it probably won't work but I am proven wrong by my wife everyday,soo..

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spot on…
and that’s actually brown jelly covering the skeleton
Agree, and with that much BJD covering the piece it’s difficult to get a recovery, if at all possible. Also agree that your tank is way under mature for corals. You can place them and work extra hard to maintain proper levels but it’s gonna tire you out. Let it mature a few months, add fish and CUC in the meantime to help boost up biodiversity.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish more peple took the time to mature a fresh tank. Nothing directed towards the OP at all.

My tank got wet in June I believe,still not a single coral. Just letting tge take mature on its own. I have just a cuc of 4 snails,3 hermits. I hace yet to add fish well because idk what I want.

Let a biological mass build,that way you can sustain even acan's or any other coral you want.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back