Is my blenny too skinny?

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need better photos I can try again but that’s the only place he sits and it’s hard to take a good photo, But is he too skinny? I feed frozen mysis, reef frenzy, and tdo pellets. He also picks around my rocks for algae. If he is should I buy nori and which kind?
Thanks

274CBCDA-B67A-47D5-A653-D281B77351D9.jpeg 871BC3E2-C44A-4648-9D56-7615E44454CD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very hard to see as mentioned in heavy blue lighting but seeing a line on body suggests underfed/under-nourished.
Feed at minimum:
spirilina brine shrimp
LRS Reef renzy
small plankton
mysis shrimp
Hikari marine cuisine

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to see as mentioned in heavy blue lighting but seeing a line on body suggests underfed/under-nourished.
Feed at minimum:
spirilina brine shrimp
LRS Reef renzy
small plankton
mysis shrimp
Hikari marine cuisine
What do you mean by line?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's questions like this that gave the fish a poor body image. Stop body shamming. Maybe YOU'RE part of the problem.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed at minimum:
spirilina brine shrimp
LRS Reef renzy
small plankton
mysis shrimp
Hikari marine cuisine
Wait, you need to feed THAT much for a blenny? I just feed my E. lineatus mysis/brine and the tank has algae growing on the back wall.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wait, you need to feed THAT much for a blenny? I just feed my E. lineatus mysis/brine and the tank has algae growing on the back wall.
These are various foods, but needs a wide variety that offers fats, aminos and meats

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Center of body. With us humans showing ribs when we are too skinny, fish displays similar.
AC74B5CB-FD87-4D79-B2BF-55C825522FE3.jpeg

I couldn’t get any good ones, he hid and only came out once because of the white light. Also the clowns got freaked out too. I know you can’t see his stomach but compared to skinny fish he looks fine. I can’t see lines and he doesn’t have a pinched stomach like in certain photos. If I did try nori in the future what should I buy?

Edit: actually I looked again and there’s a horizontal like in the middle running down his body. Is that it?

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that horizontal line.

He doesn't look emaciated yet, but certainly a bit on the skinny side. Just feed him well, and he should get along just fine.
Ok thanks, I’ll just feed more. But just because I’m curious will a blenny eat nori? I have heard both yes and no. But I think he’s gotten like this because of me fearing overfeeding the clownfish, they are absolute pigs.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned a blenny that wouldn't eat anything I threw at them. Pellets, nori(may want to try rubber banding it to a rock as opposed to a clip on the glass. Just more natural), PE mysis, LRS reef frenzy, etc, etc.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of blenny s that both love nori.
I've never owned a blenny that wouldn't eat anything I threw at them. Pellets, nori(may want to try rubber banding it to a rock as opposed to a clip on the glass. Just more natural), PE mysis, LRS reef frenzy, etc, etc.
Someone at the store told me they wouldn’t eat it and they weren’t really herbivorous fish. Also didnt care that I said he ate algae off the rocks and other surfaces . The blenny isn’t picky at all, I’ll consider some nori next time if he hasn’t fattened up. I think they have sheets of green LRS.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone at the store told me they wouldn’t eat it and they weren’t really herbivorous fish. Also didnt care that I said he ate algae off the rocks and other surfaces . The blenny isn’t picky at all, I’ll consider some nori next time if he hasn’t fattened up. I think they have sheets of green LRS.
My tailspot blenny wouldn’t eat nori — he did nibble a bit when I rubber banded it to a rock. This was when he was new and the LFS sent me home w/some pellets he wouldn’t touch — all I had on hand besides that was some nori sheets while I waited for more food to ship. I ordered some rods food and easy masstick and that was that. He pushes my clownfish away to get to it, and his belly is always plump. He also nips on the rocks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
AC74B5CB-FD87-4D79-B2BF-55C825522FE3.jpeg

I couldn’t get any good ones, he hid and only came out once because of the white light. Also the clowns got freaked out too. I know you can’t see his stomach but compared to skinny fish he looks fine. I can’t see lines and he doesn’t have a pinched stomach like in certain photos. If I did try nori in the future what should I buy?

Edit: actually I looked again and there’s a horizontal like in the middle running down his body. Is that it?
Nope - Under blue light he sure seemed to have it but hes not chubby but looks good

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre partially correct, Its a myth that they thrive on algae. The trickiest part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell this visually by looking at the abdomen, which should be a healthy rounded shape. A blenny with a pinched midriff isn’t finding enough food.
Although a blenny needs plenty of algae to survive, a common misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. Since blennies frequent shallow tropical waters, they find their sanctuary within the coral reefs. They circle areas with coral branches and sponges, scraping their way along the diverse sea bottom. Their feeding techniques are to pound and gnaw the coral, and as a result, they ingest detritus, or waste material primarily, from the coral. This includes bits of coral skeleton, sand, gravel, and other organic matter, such as fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not subsist on solely algae, it stands to reason that their captive diet must be supplemented. If a blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, its condition will rapidly deteriorate. Therefore, it is important to offer an occasional selection of commercial algae-based wafers or pellets.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre partially correct, Its a myth that they thrive on algae. The trickiest part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell this visually by looking at the abdomen, which should be a healthy rounded shape. A blenny with a pinched midriff isn’t finding enough food.
Although a blenny needs plenty of algae to survive, a common misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. Since blennies frequent shallow tropical waters, they find their sanctuary within the coral reefs. They circle areas with coral branches and sponges, scraping their way along the diverse sea bottom. Their feeding techniques are to pound and gnaw the coral, and as a result, they ingest detritus, or waste material primarily, from the coral. This includes bits of coral skeleton, sand, gravel, and other organic matter, such as fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not subsist on solely algae, it stands to reason that their captive diet must be supplemented. If a blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, its condition will rapidly deteriorate. Therefore, it is important to offer an occasional selection of commercial algae-based wafers or pellets.
I hear a lot about how lots of peoples blennies die from not eating anything except algae, if anything mine is eating more meats.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back