Is my BTA okay?

ReefToad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
This is my first post on R2R and I'm excited to be a part of the community! With that being said, I'm somewhat concerned about the health of my rose BTA (Rosie O'Donnell). Recently after the addition of a wyoming white ocellaris, she's moved around the tank a bit, and settled at the bottom of my rockwork where she lays partially in the sand. Her tentacles are thin, but still full of color. Should I be concerned that she's on the sandbed partially? Should I attempt to move her? I've attached two photos, one of her previous placement and one of her today. Any insight from any experienced reef keepers is greatly appreciated!

Tank Age: 8 Months
Tank Mates: Pink Hammer, Pulsing Xenia, Duncan, GSP, Lawnmower Blennie, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Wyoming White Clown, Blue leg Hermits
Parameters
Phosphate 0
Calc: 400
dKH 9 or 161.1 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10 ppm

20240413_140222.jpg 20240424_110726.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
0 phosphate could be wrong. what do you use to test water?

it could be moving around trying to find a new spot to live at. first glance it doesn't look totally "bad"

also hello from PA!

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 phosphate could be wrong. what do you use to test water?

it could be moving around trying to find a new spot to live at. first glance it doesn't look totally "bad"

also hello from PA!
I use the API master reef kit. I've heard mixed reviews about them but they've always been reliable with my fw tanks. But I've also read that low levels of phosphates can be beneficial for nems.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use the API master reef kit. I've heard mixed reviews about them but they've always been reliable with my fw tanks. But I've also read that low levels of phosphates can be beneficial for nems.
low levels of phosphate(or 0.0) can lead to dino’s or other nuisance algae. will and can brown out your corals as well

api test kit is loved by some and hated by others. but i would never trust a single test kit. but another set of another brand and compare results

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 phosphates aren't good. What test kit?
What is your salinity? Those swing arms are not all that accurate.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
This is my first post on R2R and I'm excited to be a part of the community! With that being said, I'm somewhat concerned about the health of my rose BTA (Rosie O'Donnell). Recently after the addition of a wyoming white ocellaris, she's moved around the tank a bit, and settled at the bottom of my rockwork where she lays partially in the sand. Her tentacles are thin, but still full of color. Should I be concerned that she's on the sandbed partially? Should I attempt to move her? I've attached two photos, one of her previous placement and one of her today. Any insight from any experienced reef keepers is greatly appreciated!

Tank Age: 8 Months
Tank Mates: Pink Hammer, Pulsing Xenia, Duncan, GSP, Lawnmower Blennie, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Wyoming White Clown, Blue leg Hermits
Parameters
Phosphate 0
Calc: 400
dKH 9 or 161.1 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10 ppm

20240413_140222.jpg 20240424_110726.jpg

What light are you using?
Also you might want more turbulence at the water surface for gas exchange.
And welcome to r2r!

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ok to me. A little washed out but that could be the lighting in the picture.

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low levels of phosphate(or 0.0) can lead to dino’s or other nuisance algae. will and can brown out your corals as well

api test kit is loved by some and hated by others. but i would never trust a single test kit. but another set of another brand and compare results
I have noticed some recent algae growth. Nothing outrageous or unmanageable though. I will definitely get another test kit. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are you using?
Also you might want more turbulence at the water surface for gas exchange.
And welcome to r2r!
For lighting I have the coraline marine clip on light from petco. Do you have any recommendations of powerheads? It's a 25 gallon cube tank.
Thanks for the welcome!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting I have the coraline marine clip on light from petco. Do you have any recommendations of powerheads? It's a 25 gallon cube tank.
Thanks for the welcome!
I'm worried that light isn't enough for the nem to really flourish. Maybe good enough for some soft corals, but nems need a lot of light.

Unfortunately I don't really have any powerhead recommendations, I haven't purchased one in several years so idk what's out there these days. I see people mention the AI Nero series, but they are pricey.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back