Is my clown ok or just being a clown?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just noticed that my clownfish was kind of laying on the surface, the farting back down about 3 inches under the water. I have have seen him do something similar but nowhere near this long at the surface. I was never worried about it as it just seemed like a clown thing. I know that this video might to load, unfortunately I can’t post it on a YouTube link. Also he seems to only be doing it on one side. This is also the longest he was on the surface I have seen.

If you can’t get the video to load he is doing this
IMG_1227.jpeg

and staying on the surface for about 2-3 seconds or a bit longer. Could it be an oxygenation issue or swim bladder or just being a clown. Also this is a 1.3 year old tank with just him and a springeri damsel.

Sorry about the long post, thanks in advance!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answered on other post too. I'm leaning toward aggression from what looked like a damsel

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have never seen any signs of physical aggression since about 5 months ago

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish appears to be succumbing to intimidation but could also be a buoyancy issue. If buoyancy, have you seen this fish swim downwards towards the bottom and remain there for extended period?
Is fish responding to feeding ?

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish appears to be succumbing to intimidation but could also be a buoyancy issue. If buoyancy, have you seen this fish swim downwards towards the bottom and remain there for extended period?
Is fish responding to feeding ?
Eats super well, I haven’t really seen him go to the bottom, he swims in the top 1/4 of the tank, occasionally swimming down to the 1/2 area of the tank.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I did observe them (with a phone) for about 15 minutes, they stayed very far away from each other. He was still doing the surface thing though. Now that the lights have started to dim I haven’t seen him do it, but I will continue to monitor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also I did observe them (with a phone) for about 15 minutes, they stayed very far away from each other. He was still doing the surface thing though. Now that the lights have started to dim I haven’t seen him do it, but I will continue to monitor
Actually low light may help. Try low light heavy in blue for 24 hours and see if it comes down to lower tank level

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just noticed that my clownfish was kind of laying on the surface, the farting back down about 3 inches under the water. I have have seen him do something similar but nowhere near this long at the surface. I was never worried about it as it just seemed like a clown thing. I know that this video might to load, unfortunately I can’t post it on a YouTube link. Also he seems to only be doing it on one side. This is also the longest he was on the surface I have seen.

If you can’t get the video to load he is doing this
IMG_1227.jpeg

and staying on the surface for about 2-3 seconds or a bit longer. Could it be an oxygenation issue or swim bladder or just being a clown. Also this is a 1.3 year old tank with just him and a springeri damsel.

Sorry about the long post, thanks in advance!
Unsure the time of day this was taken but in the evening and at night they may well sleep on the surface. Mine started on the surface and then to the corner...and finally hosted a coral after a few months.
If the fish is doing this all day this story is totally off base. I can't get the video to load so I'm just going with your story really.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure the time of day this was taken but in the evening and at night they may well sleep on the surface. Mine started on the surface and then to the corner...and finally hosted a coral after a few months.
If the fish is doing this all day this story is totally off base. I can't get the video to load so I'm just going with your story really.
Yeah, mine does have a very weird sleeping habits as well, but it was taken around 5 and they don’t start to get sleepy until around 630ish

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine does have a very weird sleeping habits as well, but it was taken around 5 and they don’t start to get sleepy until around 630ish
Sounds like normal behavior to me given the time. If it'll make you feel better look for videos of clowns sleeping at the surface on YouTube.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back