Is my hammer coral dead?

Missingsymphony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I always googled for answers about anything that had to do with my new aquarium (and hobby) but I couldn't find anything that looked how my coral does now, I bought a red sea kit and all the chemical levels seem fine, salinity and temp are fine too, I did try and relocate it once and it broke off from the clay I used to stick it on the live rock and when I did like 1/4 of its head flew off everywhere and a chunk of the bottom skeleton breaking off, it was fine for a week after that then it looked like the after picture provided, fishes and everything else seem to be doing fine

20210128_230630.jpg 20210210_202721.jpg

OP
OP
M

Missingsymphony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s just melting off what’s left
Awww dang :<, Thanks for letting me know, I could not find any answers for a while so I been leaving it my tank like that till I was 100% sure, ill be removing tomorrow, thanks again for the help

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the skeleton I had one go through 6 days of 58 degree water a couple years ago in a power outage. Well that sucker made a couple babies during the stress and is still alive. You never know!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww I kinda figured but wanted to be sure, how come every once in a while does it look like it's pooping? Like the stringy brown stuff coming out or is it just decomposing?
Decomposing. When you take it out, it should have a strong smelly sea smell. That’s the scent of decomposition.

OP
OP
M

Missingsymphony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I took it out yesterday, my aquarium kinda got a little too natural, got algae growing everywhere and little tiny white specs (living) covering every inch of my aquarium, think the dead coral I had inside was a food fest, im not sure

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back