Is my leather dying?

Carrieg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first time to ask a ??. But I read the post all the time. Here is my problem. I have a leather, I'm not sure what kind it is due to no one can tell me what exactly is its kind. I have had it now for about a year so I know the molting times it goes through. I have my water checked from a professional saltwater store, water is good. First picture of it when it was doing really well. Second pic notice the large trunk. 3rd pic as of today. He has been this way now for at least 2 1/2 weeks. every once in a while the bumps will come out. the trunk can not hold it up any longer. 5th i had a fan blowing right on him to clean off the debris then I had to adjust him. but within 30 min back down to picture number 3 and 4. He does not have a fowl smell. Is he dying or what the heck?
Thank you for your help!
Carrieg
1 learther.jpg
leather.jpg leather 5.jpg leather4.jpg leather 3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like it needs more flow
Moderate light and medium flow required
A little strontium and iron in the water

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Carrieg

Carrieg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my levels. My tank is 120 gallon
salt-28
calcium-400
nitrate and nitrite-0
PH- .01
ammonia- .06
Mag- 1460

Upvote 0

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my levels. My tank is 120 gallon
salt-28
calcium-400
nitrate and nitrite-0
PH- .01
ammonia- .06
Mag- 1460
salt 28? Ph 0.01? Assuming you mean 28 ppt, then you are way off. Your tank should be about 35 ppt so your salinity is very low. I dont know what you mean by 0.01 Ph? Please double check with store since that number is just not possible.

Also you should not have any ammonia in the water if your tank is cycled.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Carrieg

Carrieg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry my PPT was 36, phosphate-0.01 ppm I don't like testing my own waters...but this time i did with the red sea. The tank has been up and running for a few years now. Hope this answers your questions.

Upvote 0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry my PPT was 36, phosphate-0.01 ppm I don't like testing my own waters...but this time i did with the red sea. The tank has been up and running for a few years now. Hope this answers your questions.
Testing is part of good husbandry. U need it to keep the system stable and it’ll show trends so u can adjust for alk calcium magnesium the big three.

Upvote 0

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case, your parameters are OK. However if the tank is a few years old then you should have 0 ammonia at all times. That ammonia reading is weird. Also, look into your lighting and flow. I have 2 toadstools with in high flow and high light, but they can also do good in lower flow and light as well.

Upvote 0

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals are surprisingly resilient. I have had leathers not popping any polyp for months (due to poor water quality) to finally regain all its polyp coverage in just a few days.
check your water parameter to make sure it isnt the reason for stress. And believe it or not leathers do like slightly “dirty” water. My leather actually went all bald when my tank water was too clean too, and only come back up when there is more nutrient

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Carrieg

Carrieg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your response, I have always kept him on high flow and high light. if either one of those changed for any reason he would reposition himself to try and catch the flow and light. I went and checked the ammonia once again and I made a mistake, sorry the ammonia is fine it is 0. This is why I hate testing. But I do test my tank, sometimes I just take it to the store to do a large testing at once. I'm guessing my tank is to clean...lol My fish will be happy, feed me feed me.
Again thank you all for your replies, I guess it's just a watch and see game from here.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back