Is my lfs expensive or average?

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lfs is the only marine shop within an hours drive, and is one of probably 5 ish "major" marine shops that ship in my country. Yayy!! :downcast-face-with-sweat:
Their cheapest coral is 65 euro and most are around 135!
I know very little about coral so I want to know if they are pricey compared to other lfs. I really mean no offense, just want to see others opinions! Please tell me if posts like this are no-nos.
Heres some stats from their website:
LPS
Duncan coral (per polyp)-25
Crystal coral pp-55
-Frogspawn coral small-115
SPS
Montipora branching small-45
Lace coral small-65
acropora-95
Soft
Bush coral small-55
green nephthea small-95
christmas tree coral small-135

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks about average compared to American. I’m not totally 100% of the euro to dollar tho

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs sells assorted frags, $15 each, buy 3 get one free. Granted they are mostly common stuff but on occasion there are some nicer frags mixed into the lot. Got a small button scoly and a blasto recently, and some chiquita zoas in the past. I pay on average $75-$100 for multi head indo gold torches. A 4 headed 24k for $150, so affordable lfs’s do exist. Their prices are lower because they buy large colonies that a lot of stores pass on and take the time to cut and mount them for resale.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has the 5/10/20$ Zoas on plugs
Rasta’s frag with 8-10 polyp was 40
And for smaller basic things prices are ok

Anything midgrade and up is super expensive. They had a “hulk torch” which honestly looked like a regular green torch, for 150. Knicks torch 250. And I’m talking single head torches

They had one of those large lps meat corals, around 4” wide for 600

I don’t even browse anymore. It’s ridiculous. Cheaper for me to buy online and pay shipping. I did buy the Rasta’s though and I’ve tried Rasta’s shipped numerous times in the past and they never opened or died. The ones from my lfs…multiplying and open every day

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best comparison is comparing to online sellers. If they’re within $10-$20 compared to online, I find it reasonable.

The prices posted, not taking into any true conversion just 1:1 comparison against USD you have a true mix. The LPS, comparable. SPS, if decent size, could be decent. If smaller, could be leaning pricey. The softies (except Christmas tree) is high in my opinion. The Christmas tree, depending on size is pretty decent. Rare around here to locate one for less than $200

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lfs is the only marine shop within an hours drive, and is one of probably 5 ish "major" marine shops that ship in my country. Yayy!! :downcast-face-with-sweat:
Their cheapest coral is 65 euro and most are around 135!
I know very little about coral so I want to know if they are pricey compared to other lfs. I really mean no offense, just want to see others opinions! Please tell me if posts like this are no-nos.
Heres some stats from their website:
LPS
Duncan coral (per polyp)-25
Crystal coral pp-55
-Frogspawn coral small-115
SPS
Montipora branching small-45
Lace coral small-65
acropora-95
Soft
Bush coral small-55
green nephthea small-95
christmas tree coral small-135
I should mention the cheapest in my list are the cheapest overall! I think 25 was probably the cheapest, including zoas, even single polyp

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back